This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Reporting for overall percentage of successful/failed/not-installed/pending reboot for approved updates

I have an upstream WSUS servers with many downstream WSUS servers.

1. Is it possible to get in ONE report that tells me per WSUS server:-

Overall percentage of computers with 100% successful approved updates (including third party)

Overall percentage of computers with failed updates

Overall percentage of computer with incomplete updates

The overall percentage are the columns.  And the WSUS servers can be rows.

2. Is it possible to get in ONE report that tells me per type of update source (MicrosoftUpdates / Other) :-

Overall percentage of computers with 100% successful approved updates

Overall percentage of computers with failed updates

Overall percentage of computers with incomplete updates

The overall percentage are the columns.  And the MicrosoftUpdates/Others can be rows.  I would like to add a filter to this report to limit to computers tied to a particular WSUS server.

Thanks so much.

• Both of these reports are somewhat complex in the manner in which they are defined, which may impact what can be done.

In both reports you specify the overall percentage of computers with "incomplete updates". The term "incomplete" is not defined in the WSUS or Patch Manager vocabularly, so first we'll need to determine what you mean by "incomplete". Consider these variations:

• Approved but Not Downloaded
    • Approved and Downloaded
    • Not Approved and Needed

Working from the presumption that "incomplete updates" only includes approved updates that are not yet installed, makes this a bit easier. However, working with percentages does complicate things a bit. Compliance data is calculated in the WSUS server by updates, and by computers. That is to say, we can get the percentage of updates in each of the states for a computer, or we can get the percentage of computers in each of the states for an update.

In order to split those percentages by WSUS server or by Update Source, will require you to build a report with raw counts and then calculate the percentages according to those groupings. Both WSUS Server and Update Source are attributes of an Update, so you'll need to build a report that provides raw counts by Update, and then aggregate on the Update Source and/or WSUS Server value.  For each update on each WSUS server you'll have a row of data providing counts (the number of computers in each state for that update). If you aggregate the count data without the WSUS Server column, you'll aggregate across all servers containing that update; if you aggregate the count data with the WSUS Server column, then you'll get a separate aggregation for each WSUS Server/Update pair.

An example of a system-provided report that uses aggregation is the Approved Updates Counts By Status for Computers in a Computer Group report. This report produces one row for each Update/State value pair, and a count of updates in each state.

For report #2, start with the Approved Summary with percentages and computer counts report. Remove the percentages columns, Update Title, Security Bulletins and Release Date. Add the Update Source column, add any additional "count" columns you need (including Approved Total Count). Configure the count columns with a SUM aggregate. Export to Excel and calculate the percentages.

For report #1, remove the Update Source column.

I have uploaded a sample report template for report #2 to the Patch Manager Content Exchange at http://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-167528