This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

poll via api, then put into orion db under a custom poller

I am attempting to poll a value from a palo alto device which i'm only able to obtain through an api rest query.  (Unfortunately, the value doesn't exist in any MIB).  I'm trying to figure out a way to get my value (which is just an integer), and then have solarwinds graph it for me.  The ultimate would be to add it to a perfstack, but i'll settle for a normal graph. 

My first thought was to run a python or powershell script to get the api rest result, and then do a sql insert into the table directly so solarwinds can chart it.  I was going to create a new custom poller, and then just insert results into the customPollerStatus table so solarwinds can graph it out. 

It seems to me there should be a better way to do this.  Any thoughts? 

• I should clarify... I am already attempting to poll my palo alto device using the "Poll for Palo Alto", and I am attempting to poll our Panorama appliance.  Unfortunately, the default values that solarwinds is polling "out of the box" does not include the rest api value that I'm looking for. 

• Do you have SAM?  They have a custom API polling option built into that now OOTB.  If not your plan sounds doable, i've done similar by setting up placeholder values and then over writing them in a script.

• I don't have any exposure to PA, but is there any chance you can get the value you're looking for by using SNMP (-> UnDP etc)? that would be ideal.

if not, mesverrum​'s suggestion is the way forward. I wouldn't recommend injecting anything in the database as there is no way to guarantee the data in there after a DB maintenance/clean-up and/or a schema upgrade.

• thanks for the replies everyone.  Unfortunately, we don't have SAM.  Unfortunately, these values don't exist in snmp, otherwise the UnDP would be the easy way by far. 

It seems the world is moving to rest APIs more and more.  Perhaps NPM needs to have some type of universal API poller, similar how they do it with snmp. 

• You might throw that feedback toward your sales rep.  Right now they address the universal API poller in SAM, but to be honest I haven't seen anything where it would HAVE to be a SAM specific feature.  If there was a big enough crowd of NPM use cases they could just include the same feature in NPM.

• API poller feature is only available in version 2019.4 i believe. its not available in 2018.2