This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

PowerShell to Update Captions - What features am I missing?

I build this PowerShell script to rename my captions (I personally hate FQDN names for captions).  I've included "HostNameOnly" and "Capitalize" for features, but that's all I got and my head ran dry.

What else should be included?

<#
Bulk Rename Captions
#>

$OrionServer = "10.196.3.18"

# Filter and rename tasks
$HostNameOnly = $true
$Capitalize   = $true

if ( -not ( $SwisConnection ) )
{
    $SwisCredentials = Get-Credential -Message "Enter your Orion credentials for $OrionServer"
    $SwisConnection = Connect-Swis -Credential $SwisCredentials -Hostname $OrionServer
}

# Base Query for Nodes
# We really only need the Caption and the Uri, but I prefer to have a little extra.
$SwqlQuery = @"
SELECT [Nodes].NodeID
     , [Nodes].Uri
     , [Nodes].Caption
     , [Nodes].IPAddress
FROM Orion.Nodes AS [Nodes]
"@

#Build an empty collection for where clauses for the query
# These clauses will be put together with " OR " as the joiner, so include any "AND" statements within the logic
# For readability, I'm going to enclose any compound filters within parenthesis.
$WhereClauses = @()

if ( $HostNameOnly )
{
    # We need to filter for captions that match a domain name format: hostname.domain.local
    #   Fair warning - if you are using an IPv4 address as a caption, this will also match.
    #   We're trying to get around this by checking to see if the caption matches the IP, but no guarantees.

$WhereClauses = "( [Nodes].Caption LIKE '%.%.%' AND [Nodes].Caption <> [Nodes].IPAddress )"
}

# If there are any where clauses, then let's put them together and add it to our base query
if ( $WhereClauses )
{
    # if there are clauses, then we need the "WHERE" keyword and a space for separation.
    # I'm choosing to put it on a separate line (`n) because I may want the $SwqlQuery more readable, but it doesn't matter for function
    $SwqlQuery += "`nWHERE "
    #             Join each of the WHERE clauses together with an " OR " (if we only have one, the -join does nothing)
    # Add it to the existing query string
    $SwqlQuery += $WhereClauses -join " OR "
}

$NodesToRename = Get-SwisData -SwisConnection $SwisConnection -Query $SwqlQuery
Write-Host "Found $( $NodesToRename.Count) node caption(s) to rename"

$NodesToRename | Add-Member -MemberType NoteProperty -Name NewCaption -Value "" -Force
# Copy Caption into NewCaption
ForEach ( $Node in $NodesToRename )
{
    $Node.NewCaption = $Node.Caption
}

if ( $Capitalize )
{
    {
        $Node.NewCaption = $Node.NewCaption.ToUpper()
    }
}

if ( $HostNameOnly )
{
    {
        $Node.NewCaption = $Node.NewCaption.Split(".")[0]
    }
}

# Remove any entries where Caption and NewCaption match (this shouldn't be necessary, but better safe)
# I'm using the "-cne" operator instead of the "-ne" because I want this case sensitive.
$NodesToRename = $NodesToRename | Where-Object { $_.Caption -cne $_.NewCaption }

# to actually do the rename
{
    Write-Host "Updating caption on $( $Node.Caption ) to $( $Node.NewCaption )"
    # The parameter for -Properties is a hashtable of the field we want to update (Caption) and the value for it ($Node.NewCaption)
    Set-SwisObject -SwisConnection $SwisConnection -Uri $Node.Uri -Properties @{ Caption = $Node.NewCaption } -Verbose
}

If I can find a few more examples, then I might build this into a proper function.  If not, it'll likely live this way.