cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

PowerOrion - Connect-Swis

Jump to solution

I have used PowerOrion in the past, I have created a GUI to add a node to SolarWinds and add Custom Properties and it runs great.

I am adding the PowerShell GUI to a shared server for others on my team to use.

I have downloaded PowerOrion from PowerOrion A Module for PowerShell · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub

and have added to my PS Module Path and ran Import-Module PowerOrion.

But, when I run Get-Command -Module PowerOrion, I do not see the Connect-Swis command, and when I run Connect-Swis I get this message below.

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_1.png

On my Admin server where I am able to successfully run the GUI, running the Get-Command, I do see the Connect-SWIS command.

pastedImage_2.png

Am I missing something?

Chris.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 19

Did you install the Orion SDK? Connect-Swis comes from SwisSnapin.dll, which is not part of PowerOrion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 7

Hi tdanner;

wow! fast answering - thx

yes, i ran "Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin" but it is still not available

pastedImage_1.png

@PowerShellGallery:

I am not allowed to connect to the internet with my servers 😞

Meanwhile my security colleagues grant me access to the Internet with the Win7 machine, but:

PowerShell Gallery | SwisPowerShell 2.3.0.108

caused this error:

pastedImage_0.png

Was not able to save the module on the local machine

0 Kudos

One of the changes between PowerOrion 0.0.6 and 0.0.6.1 is removing the call to Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin. This was done to allow using it only the SwisPowerShell module on machines that do not have SwisSnapin installed. Maybe this is why the SwisSnapin cmdlets are no longer listed as being part of PowerOrion?

I see that "Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin" did not return any error here. In that case, I would expect Connect-Swis to be available in that session. Do you still get the "command not found" error afterwards?

I don't know why you are not able to find the SwisPowerShell module even with the firewall exception. Maybe Save-Module talks to some other server or port in addition to https://www.powershellgallery.com/ ? Or maybe it is just not registered on the Win7 machine. What does "Get-PSRepository" say? Does it list "PSGallery"?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Hi;

I have installed (on a Win7 Client) both OrionSDK and PowerOrion, but still missing Connect-Swis.

Do you have any idea?

Achim

0 Kudos

Did you run "Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin"? Did it yield any errors?

Note that Connect-Swis and related cmdlets are also available from the SwisPowerShell module, which is on PowerShellGallery: PowerShell Gallery | SwisPowerShell 2.3.0.108

0 Kudos

I did, I must have forgot that you needed to install the SDK....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 19

Did you install the Orion SDK? Connect-Swis comes from SwisSnapin.dll, which is not part of PowerOrion.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos