This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to specify VMware polling in discovery?

Hello all,

I'm back at this again and I've been asked to discover VMware nodes as well as their guest. I know the discovery wizard in the web control panel allows us to specify VMware polling and what credentials to use. How do we do this in the SDK? i'm not seeing anything in the xml definitions.

• Hi,

Using SDK, you can discover VMware nodes. Steps provided in this post. You can provide VMware credentials in "Create VIM plugin Configuration" step.

How do we programmatically discover the non-interface properties [in Orion] and enable them

• Thank you! This is a great step in the right direction. I've used that bit of code to add the vim portion to my discovery but how do I handle the VM hosts it finds? Currently I've added the virtual host as any other node into Orion and after a rediscovery it will detect the vendor properly. The problem is that in the Virtualization section the node does not show.

How do I add the newly discovered VM host to Orion so that it'll show in the Virtualization portion of the web console?

Thank you so much for all your help through this. This script keeps getting bigger and more complex. I soon might have something that can be used to automate the entire node add process externally for non-admin users.

• After doing some digging into the VIM_HostNodes table I'm seeing something similar to the nodes table. Do you have any examples on adding a virtual host to Orion? I'm not seeing all of this information coming from the DiscoveredNodes nor the VIM_DiscoveredNodes tables so I'm wondering where this information is polled from. I'm assuming at this point I have to create the new row for the VIM_HostNodes table much like the Nodes table but I'm not seeing anything about pollers in there for vim. This leads me to believe that there's something accessing the API from the poller to the VMWare box and it's just using the entry in the VIM_HostNodes table to run the calls.

I'm also wondering if I need to add these nodes with a different node add function to accommodate the fact it's a virtual host. When I added the node using my SDK script it added as a regular SNMP node but every time I clicked edit it'd throw an error.This happened before when I was assigning WMI nodes and the node was not added correctly.

Any information you could share on this process and how to add these nodes to Orion would be much appreciated.

I'm currently using SDK 1.9 as SDK 1.10 still refuses to poll or rediscover without listing resources and saving on each node added. Very frustrating.

• I'm looking into this and I'm having trouble getting it to work correctly. I'll keep looking and follow up when I have something for you.

• Here's a PowerShell script that works. Note that the credentials need to already been in the system since this API refers to them by CredentialID. You can find the IDs by querying Orion.Credential, but there is currently no API for insert/update to Orion.Credential.

DiscoverVMware.ps1
  • Any chance we'll see API into credential?

• It's at the top of my list, but I don't have a date for you.

• Hello again tdanner‌! Thank you for the script you've so graciously provided. This has allowed me to get some information into the vim tables of the DB. Now I'm just lacking the knowledge of setting these hosts as VM hosts. I'm able to bring them in as SNMP or ICMP but I'm not sure what to do to make the connection that these nodes are VMware hosts. Do you have any examples of importing these detected nodes or setting the nodes we've imported as snmp and icmp as VMware hosts to be polled?

• We don't have an API for switching the polling of a node from SNMP to VMware API. You can do it from the UI, but if you need to do it programmatically you would have to delete the SNMP node and use the script from earlier in this thread to re-add it as VMware.