This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Fairly new and asking for some help in organizing views...

Greetings,

I'm fairly new to Solarwinds, which was already setup and running long before I showed up, however I've got some questions on how it was setup as far as views go and if it's the best way to viewing things. I'll put these in bullet points so it's easier to work through.

• I've attached one screen shot of Unknown devices that I'd like to be able to move into Company categories that are just below that. If a device is listed under Unknown devices, is there a way to drag and drop or move that device under a specific company/vendor?
  • We've also added some Synology devices for backups for our remote sites in rural area's that have a slow connection and I'm wondering if there is a way to add vendors in order to list them and put them under Company group?
  • Our main company has bought many different companies and within Solarwinds, everything seems to be listed by Company and then broken down into Vendors and then model type. So for instance, there is the Company listed and then Cisco, HP, Fortinet, Windows, etc. Clicking on HP, will bring me to the different model of HP switches like a ProCurve 2610-48-PWR or 2530-48g-POE and then when I click on that, it shows all of the switches of that model listed for the 13  or more remote sites that have that model switch. This is how it's broken down for all devices at all the remote sites. My question for those of you who are in a position to monitor a lot of remote sites (100+), how do you have this setup that makes it easy to manage? I'm wondering if at some point, not now, but at some point this should be a project to re-organize how this is laid out to make it easier for support? Leave all devices under specific vendors/models like it is now or break everything down into separate sites with devices/vendors listed under that instead? Like main company, division/state, remote sites? What makes it easier for you guys and I realize everyone has their different opinions but I'd like to hear what others have done who manage hundreds of remote sites. How we're kind of laid out is that we have the parent company and then that's broken down into 12 companies that haven't changed their name and then each of those has between 6- 12 remote locations.
  • I've also got a question about doing a network discovery. When going through the wizard, I didn't see it ask anything about groups or anything. Is there a way to run a network discovery under a specific group? For instance, say our Madison WI office added three sites to their office and we have to add all the equipment to be monitored under that companies group. Going through the wizard, it looks like it will add everything to the Unknown group (which brings up the first bullet point)? Is it possible to right click on a company and launch the network discovery from there and pull in anything that it finds automatically to that group?

I'm open to suggestions as like I said, I'm new to Solarwinds but so far this has helped out a ton already and I'd love to be able to do a lot more with this. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to do some of this without making it a huge mess.

Thanks,

Corey