cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NTP Not Discovering All Connections in 7 switch network

Jump to solution

The drawing below is the result of a 7 IP address discovery, using SNMP.

I've confirmed the SNMP v2 community string on all 7 switches.

Can anyone tell me why the switch with the red cloud around it, doesn't have connections to the switches above, to the left of, and below it?

I know they are physically there and CDP neighbor shows the switches there, but they don't show up on the map.

The other interesting thing is when I look up the problem switch in Orion NPM and look at the Network side tab, I don't have a NPM Network Topology listing, showing the L2 and L3 connections, like I do for the other switches in the discovery.

Any clue why? I feel like I'm missing something <hopefully> simple.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin

L320191003.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 8

<banging my head on my desk> I sure thought CDP was enabled on all of my switches involved in this discovery, but the one in question did not. That was the problem. I did a CDP run, and there the connections were. I should have double-checked that first.

According to the missing connections document, CDP or LLDP, need to be enabled. There are other suggestions for things to check as well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Level 8

<banging my head on my desk> I sure thought CDP was enabled on all of my switches involved in this discovery, but the one in question did not. That was the problem. I did a CDP run, and there the connections were. I should have double-checked that first.

According to the missing connections document, CDP or LLDP, need to be enabled. There are other suggestions for things to check as well.

View solution in original post

Glad you found it!!

Can you please mark your question as answered? Thanks.

0 Kudos

When you go into the problem node's 'List Resources', are the layer 2 and layer 3 options ticked?

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Superfly,

Good thought. I was hopeful, but no.

Those are checked, along with Virtual Routing and Forwarding, and Routing Table.

I'm leaning towards something with the switch, but polling and other aspects of the switch are getting collected with no problem.

I have the same SNMP settings as the other switches of this same model and IOS, and those collect with no problem. The configs are the same as well, except for the usual switch name, IP address, and such.

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos