cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Atlas Import

Question 1:

Currently I have NTM installed on a separate VM than my NPM server.   There is an option to open directly in Atlas but this is grayed out.   Should this software be installed on the NPM server to get that functionality?   Just wondering because nothing in the admin guide specifies this.

Question 2:

I primarily use the ConnectNow feature in Atlas because it gives me just one link between devices.  When I hover over the link I then see all the connections, which is what I like.   Now when I export a map into Atlas, the map is too busy because it actually draws out the individual links.   Is there a way to only show the one link when importing into Atlas?

Just seems that there is not a lot of working functionality between NTM and Atlas as of yet.   The way I see it,  it would just be easier to continue using Atlas as the mapping solution.  I was really hoping for more when I bought.  I guess that's on me and I should have read the admin guide before buying.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Level 15

After importing the map, you should be to mouse over the node, and see the details.

0 Kudos
Level 15

You should also have the option to export as a map.  You will be able to save the map as a file, and move it to your Network Atlas system.  Also you can schedule a scan to run at different intervals, and update your map.

0 Kudos

I am in the process of a trial of NTM.   When a map gets exported to Network Atlas and then placed into NPM, are the links between nodes interactive like they are when you view them NTM?  Or is the map a static page like a screenshot?

0 Kudos

If you export directly to Atlas then you will be able to hover over the links as if you had drawn the map out using Atlas.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Question 1:

Do you have Network Atlas installed on the same machine as NTM?

Question 2:

If multiple links are present, multiple links are shown.  If you prefer the other way, you could always delete the offending links and run connect now between the two nodes to get the one link again.

Although the most important integration between NTM and Atlas are there (export from NTM To Atlas), it's certainly not nearly as deep and seamless as we'd ideally like it to be.  This is something we would love to improve.

Question 1:

I don't. I guess that was what I was wondering above.  I didn't see where it said that you have to in the admin guide.  It makes sense but I wanted to verify before I unlicense the copy from my other server. 

Question 2:

I could, but then that would defeat the purpose of drawing it out in NTM.  I just bought the software yesterday.   I had been placing nodes in Atlas and letting ConnectNow do the work.

Maybe I just thought the software was more mature than it is.   I thought this was the case already but, my hopes would be to be able to draw a map out in NTM and it export to Atlas exactly as it looks.  Otherwise I am doing double the work like I was in LanSurveyor and NPM 9.5/10.0.

I would also like to have NTM or Atlas notify me if there is a change and then be able to say upload new changes or dicard.

thanks

0 Kudos

Question 1:

Yup.  You need to be able to open the NTM and Atlas applications on the same computer.  Atlas doesn't have to be on your NPM server though, and also isn't separately licensed.  Why not just install another copy of Atlas wherever you have NTM installed?

Question 2:

Understood.  I suppose in this case it's a difference in purpose.  Atlas is intended to show a representation of connectivity between two nodes by drawing a line.  NTM is supposed to show you your whole network topology including all connections.

Topology is a big and complicated subject.  As a new NTM user, you have a fresh perspective on the application.  I'd love to hear your thoughts if you have time.  Shoot me a message if you're interested in doing a half hour meeting to discuss more.

Sure. Hit me up.

0 Kudos