cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Vsphere DSwitch Netflow monitoring

Jump to solution

Is there a better solution to getting netflow from distributed switches info NTA than whats discussed here?

How to Display NetFlow Traffic from Vmware Virtual Distribution Switch to Physical Switch Switch ...

I was able to set it up in PRTG Using this guide https://www.paessler.com/blog/netflow-configuration-and-monitoring-via-prtg-on-vmware-vsphere

and it works nicely however I'd like to have all netflow info in one place.

1 Solution
Level 20

I'm exporting netflow from some of my VMware Distributed switches.  It does work.  We like getting netflow from inside our VMware environment.  It's just as beneficial as it is with real switches.

Configure the NetFlow Settings of a vSphere Distributed Switch

Enable or Disable NetFlow Monitoring on a Distributed Port Group or Distributed Port

ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 08 10.03.gif

This is what they look like in NTA... they have a different icon than normal switches show.  We turn it on and off at the vSwitch as needed.

Also export netflow from Riverbed appliances.

BTW... I'm NOT using any switch as a proxy... the vSwitch just sends it's netflow to the Orion server and it shows up just like a Cisco switch traffic would.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Level 20

I'm exporting netflow from some of my VMware Distributed switches.  It does work.  We like getting netflow from inside our VMware environment.  It's just as beneficial as it is with real switches.

Configure the NetFlow Settings of a vSphere Distributed Switch

Enable or Disable NetFlow Monitoring on a Distributed Port Group or Distributed Port

ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 08 10.03.gif

This is what they look like in NTA... they have a different icon than normal switches show.  We turn it on and off at the vSwitch as needed.

Also export netflow from Riverbed appliances.

BTW... I'm NOT using any switch as a proxy... the vSwitch just sends it's netflow to the Orion server and it shows up just like a Cisco switch traffic would.

View solution in original post

Thank you. I thought the host had to be managed via snmp inorder to monitor netflow. Turns out i just needed to add it as external. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Level 13

What do you get if you follow the PRTG guide but when it asked for the IP of the PRTG server you enter your SolarWinds server? I don't think it matters where the guide come from as long as it works in the end.

0 Kudos

I got it setup in PRTG. (We use PRTG as a backup monitoring to SW) But Solarwinds requires that extra switch to be a proxy and it just becomes messy.

0 Kudos

What is the pros of enabling netflow in Dswitch

0 Kudos

The two reasons I like it is I can set it up without needing to involve the network team, and also i can monitor traffic between guests on the same UCS.

0 Kudos

So enabling on D-Switch will be effective rather than doing in switch ?

0 Kudos

Yes. For inter-VM traffic. and again I can  control it not the network team

0 Kudos