This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Upgrading NTA 4.2.3 to 4.4. Current SQL DB is 2016 sp1.

We are currently running NTA 4.2.3 using the Orion database that is on SQL 2016 SP1.  When I ran the upgrade advisor it said that "When upgrading to NTA version 4.4 or later, there are new requirements for the NTA Flow Storage Database. A separate Microsoft SQL database instance is required for flow storage. For production deployment, SolarWinds NTA requires the Standard or Enterprise edition of SQL Server 2016 SP1 or later for the NTA Flow Storage Database. Existing flow data from your current installation will not be migrated, and you will no longer have access to your flow data once you complete your upgrade."

My question is how since NTA is part of my Orion database and I am running on 2016 sp1 SQL, do I need to separage NTA out?  If so how do I do that?  I could creat a new database and point NTA to that, but wouldn't I lose all the past data? I will be upgrading NPM, SRM, DPA, VOIP, NCM, SAP, and Virtualization Manager to the newest versions at the same time I upgrade NTA.

• Yes you will not have access to your past data when upgrading to NTA 4.4. It will still be there, but the web console will not have access to it once you update.

You will have to restore a backup elsewhere and still use your current version, and connect it to your current NTA server.

NTA 4.4 is a separate database, but can be used on the same SQL server as your Orion NPM database.

• NTA 4.2.3  uses a flat file database not SQL. The newer versions require a new SQL database either on you current SQL server in it's own instance ( provided that server is beefy enough or NTA needs it's own SQL server and database.  The data is still there yes but in essence you loose it because you can't really read it from anywhere. Depending on whether or not you changed the defaults you only have 30-45 days of retention anyway.