This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Reasons to have netFlow on both sides of a circuit?

At our organization we provide internet access for multiple school districts. We have point to point circuits that connect to core routers, and have Managed internet access from there out.  Currently we are monitoring both sides of our P2P circuit, and the interface where we handoff access.

I am debating with my networking partner, on whether to monitor that many interfaces, or just the handoff interface. It would be nice to hear some thoughts about this. emoticons_wink.png

• Are you looking for bandwidth totals per school district or is there another reason why you capture the flow stats?

Another option you have is to do packet capture, setup a SPAN or mirror port and use this as a data source

• We mainly use netflow to see bandwidth utilization down to the application layer. That way their IT department can tell if majority of the traffic is youtube, or from a legitimate video streaming site they use.

• I just Netflow'd the closest interface to the NTA server on P2P links. The only stuff you would get from the other side would be the router-on-a-stick local inter-VLAN traffic, which would not bog down the WAN link, anyway. Our main business app was very latency-aware; so the WAN utilization was the main focus for us using NTA to monitor for users doing things that could bog down the WAN.

In the end, because we denied access to most streaming sites, the biggest culprit was patch Tuesday. We had to put local SCCM servers at the sites so the WAN links would get bogged down with several workstations getting patched all at once.

I hope this helps you.