This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Polling Interval vs SQL Performance

Hi Solarwinds Gurus,

To have better NTA data, we know we need to minimum polling interval and it will impact SQL performance. How can I test out my polling interval rate(aim 1-2 min) without breaking SQL server? Thank you. 

• Netflow doesn't really have a concept of a polling interval. You set up your routers/firewalls to send data as frequently as you like, but the recommendation is a max of 60 seconds since the Netflow db is all dialed in with that assumed interval already.  No extra effort needed if your routers are already doing 1 minute intervals.

• Thank you for the answer and it makes sense. Sounds like we can control how fast our network devices sending the data. Is there anyway we can control how much data we can send? I realize that after NTA receives the data, it will start to write on SQL data base. How do I know if NTA cannot write data fast enough in order to cause overlap data? I mean when NTA start to write the first data it receives, then before it finish, it already receives second data, then it will cause overlap.