cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

New to SolarWinds. Is the NetFlow database compressed?

Jump to solution

Can someone tell me how to check this?

The flows per second math does not seem to correspond what I expect the DB size to be.

Is there somewhere in the UI I can check this should there be a setting?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

There are a couple of places that are interesting to investigate for this topic.

1.  Log into NPM's front page and go to Settings > All Settings > Product Specific Settings > NTA Settings   Look around and see what might be relevant here.

2.  Also, go to NPM's front page and go to Settings > All Settings > Product Specific Settings > Database Details   Scroll down and you'll see how long the Stats are held.

3. You can continue your discovery by going to Settings > All Settings > Orion Polling Settings.  It's show you how frequently things are polled, statistics intervals, database settings, etc.

Remember NetFlow doesn't send a constant stream of data.  It only bursts informational data (in my case about every ten minutes) that carries information about the apps and src/dst during the captured data time period.

Let us know if one of these locations shows the answer to your question.  Others here in Thwack may offer even better ideas, but it's OK to search your topic in this forum, or in the online manuals, or to call Support for help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 12

I have also been passed down this information, which hopefully might shed a little light into this for you. Let me know -

"With the default 30-day retention period and default top talker optimization, you should plan at least 8 GB of additional storage capacity per sustained 1000 flows per second. However, the required hard drive space strongly depends on your flow traffic, and SolarWinds recommends you provide more space accordingly."

Nice info--thank you.

An intuitive and expected solution from SW would be for it to predict or forecast disk size requirements on a scheduled basis, or on demand, after having some time (a week?  ten days? a month?) to discover a growth trend for NTA data.

This should be expanded to include any other solutions that consume data, and which will need attention from system admins or SAN/Storage team members, for accurately and adequately planning and installing enough storage to accomplish the need.

Further, it should have an option to quickly calculate future needs based on current trends AND on changes in retention settings.  I'm envisioning something like a view which has a slider bar in it for each type of data's retention.  Slide it from 30 days retention to ten or to one hundred or 365 days and watch the calculated disk space requirements change.  Then pick the right retention time, OR add more disk.

0 Kudos

There are a couple of places that are interesting to investigate for this topic.

1.  Log into NPM's front page and go to Settings > All Settings > Product Specific Settings > NTA Settings   Look around and see what might be relevant here.

2.  Also, go to NPM's front page and go to Settings > All Settings > Product Specific Settings > Database Details   Scroll down and you'll see how long the Stats are held.

3. You can continue your discovery by going to Settings > All Settings > Orion Polling Settings.  It's show you how frequently things are polled, statistics intervals, database settings, etc.

Remember NetFlow doesn't send a constant stream of data.  It only bursts informational data (in my case about every ten minutes) that carries information about the apps and src/dst during the captured data time period.

Let us know if one of these locations shows the answer to your question.  Others here in Thwack may offer even better ideas, but it's OK to search your topic in this forum, or in the online manuals, or to call Support for help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks rschroeder!

I believe then it is. I guess the guess the question I have is the percentage of compression. Here is screen shot:

DB settings.jpg

Its 176GB over last 30 days. I guess there is no way to tell what the raw size would be if I had compression turned off?

0 Kudos

I'd query the forum, AND SolarWinds support for that question.  Some forms of compression I've used vary from 6:1 to more than 20:1.  I don't know what ratio SW uses.

0 Kudos