This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Netflow Reports,... What's Up?!?

Anyone else having trouble building netflow reports?  Even when I choose to only show the top 3 in my report, it times out.

Selected Fields:

Full Hostname

Full Name
SUM of bytes transfered.

Filter Results:

Full Name contains vlan40

Top XX: 3 (I want 25, but that really blows the server up)

Is it just me, or do the netflow reports totally suck, and are pretty much useless. 

This is really bad, because us workers LOVE the netflow stats presented on the homepage, but MGMT isnt on the netflow homepage, or navigating the netflow pages of Orion, they just want to see reports.

Netflow reports must be adressed in the next SP or full release.  The NF reports out of the box are useless. 

Any custom report using the "Netflow historical" template just times out.

A real shame too, because the wealth of info in the netflow stats would be great for MGMT to see.  Unfortunatly, they cant because of the current reporting capabilities.

/end rant

• i've just upgraded to NTA 3.6 RC - the reports are faster but certainly not ideal yet. what took 20 minutes is down to 5 minutes.

if Solarwinds NTA developers could match REPORT WRITER's Netflow reports to the Orion Netflow reports then our choices would improve.

i need to do a Netflow report with only business hours for a week but this isn't readily available in Report Writer and i'm not nearly capable of using Advanced SQL for doing this...

• I must be missing something or you must have a much larger db than mine (I have 68 interfaces w/ netflow data.  I can run the query on top 50 and it's faily quick from report writer or from Orion web reports.  My guess is you must have hundreds or thousands of interfaces with netflow data or somethings different with hardware/server/storage setup.

@lchance what's the difference between Report Writers reports and the ones on web under reports?  I'm guessing maybe your talking about the graphs and such we can't include in our reports from under the NTA module???  I completely agree with that.  Nice graphs on webpage but can't be run on scheduled reports seems kinda weak.

• Hi ecklerwr,

please can you explain which problems you have with using Orion Report Scheduler an NTA pages? It works fine for me though.

thanks

• Thanks for asking Georgiy.  With my size network the reports for NTA run without issue (at least today).  I like the graphs on the webpages.  The only drawback with the reports under reports is that the graphs can't be included on them and scheduled (I know this is a requested feature).  My attempted solution to this has been saving the webpages as a xps file which retains the graphs but loses the colors in the legend boxes for some reason.  I have no idea why this is.  See below example below:

• I found out myself by using "print to pdf" instead of "print to microsoft xps" that legend colors are now visible in the file.  Not sure why though.  I'm using the microsoft print to xps driver, and pdf995's print to pdf driver.

• I may not have been specific enough when I created this thread.

Let me take some breathes and explain,...

We have about 12 netflow sources reporting to orion.  On the website, we can go to netflow sources, pick one particular source, and that pulls up a new page that has all the resource stats for that particular source.

So on the Website, there is a great resource called top endpoints.  It lists total bytes, and basically lets you know the top talker on that particular source.

I have tried for 3 weeks to create that in a scheduled report.  It seems impossible, as we are limited to only certain option on the report writer.

Can anyone (HELLO SW!!! Case 136347!!!) create a report that mirrors the "Top XX Endpoint resource on the web?

My reports, with the same time frame selected as the website, have WAAAAAYYY different results.

Netflow is pretty useless without good reporting.  MGMT does not look at the website, they could care less.  They would like a daily report though, that list the top talker on a specific Netflow source. 
    Seems impossible. 
    PLEASE HELP. 

• Hi Mike--

I'm trying to get you some help here. If you will stay tuned, I'll get back to you. It will be tomorrow.

M

• Hi Mike--

We have escalated you issue in support and they should be contacting you. Also, as an FYI, NTA development is working to resolve the report issue in the next release.

HTH,

M

• Thanks, that is good to know.

I just dont understand how the website can parse the DB info and have pre-determined fields for "top convos, top enpoints, etc" but the report writer is limited in how it can parse the netflow DB info.

Doesnt really make sense, that I can get on the website, open the netflow page, and quickly see the top talkers on a given netflow source, yet the report writer, which all MGMT is interested in, can not perform this simple function.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Hey Mike--

Please know that your request is noted and I'll make sure the product manager sees it.

M