This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NetFlow from VMware Virtual Switches

Hello everyone,

I manage an ESX server and I've been looking into the orion netflow traffic analyzer to capture these flows, but in the release notes I came across this, "Due to limitations in the Flow packets they provide, VMware Virtual Switches are not currently supported for monitoring with Orion NTA."

What sort of limitations in the flow packets prevent the flows from being supported?

I was really hoping to buy the netflow analyzer - are there any plans adding support for vmware flows?

Thank you in advance for your input!

- Brian

• There is a thread titled "What we are working on for NTA after 3.9" ( ) and it mentions they are looking to add support for VMware virtual switches. I don't what the ETA/timeframe is though

Mav Turner wrote:

Now that NTA 3.9 is out the door here are the things we are working on next.

• Support for receiving flows from VMware vSwitch
    • Support for sFlow v2 and v4
    • New fancy charts! See this blog for some examples of the charts being added in to the Orion Platform.
    • Continuing research for extensive performance enhancements

PLEASE NOTE:  We are working on these items based on this priority order, but this is NOT a commitment that all of these enhancements will make the next release.  We are working on a number of other smaller features in parallel.   If you have comments or questions on any of these items (e.g. how would it work?) or would like to be included in a preview demo, please let us know!