Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

NTA only shows IP addresses

Jump to solution

Hello,

I had to recently resinstall my SOlarwinds products after a hard crash of our SQL server.  I installed NPM 12.1, SAM 6.4.0, IPAM 4.5.1, UDT 3.2.4, and NTA 4.2.2.   Prior to the crash, NTA would display the DNS hostname for the traffic if the IP was in DNS.  After I installed, NTA only displays the IP addresses for the traffic.  I checked on the server and it can resolve the IPs, but it seems Solarwinds itself cannot. I've gonethrough settings, but can't seem to find what would set this.  Anyone have any idea of what I could check for?

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 14

Generally, this is how NTA works to resolve hostnames:

How does default DNS resolution work in SolarWinds NTA?

The timeframe is set in Settings -> All Settings -> Product Specific Settings -> NTA Settings -> DNS and NetBIOS resolution.

One thing you may want to do is switch DNS Resolution from Persistent to On Demand and reload your page to see if that resolves the IPs.

DNS resolution options

Additionally I was going to share that NTA won't retroactively update hostnames so if you're playing around in a report, you will want to test this against your resources on your summary pages to make sure you're set going forward:

Host and Domain Names

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 14

Generally, this is how NTA works to resolve hostnames:

How does default DNS resolution work in SolarWinds NTA?

The timeframe is set in Settings -> All Settings -> Product Specific Settings -> NTA Settings -> DNS and NetBIOS resolution.

One thing you may want to do is switch DNS Resolution from Persistent to On Demand and reload your page to see if that resolves the IPs.

DNS resolution options

Additionally I was going to share that NTA won't retroactively update hostnames so if you're playing around in a report, you will want to test this against your resources on your summary pages to make sure you're set going forward:

Host and Domain Names

View solution in original post