Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

NTA installation

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I want to install NTA module for our existing Solarwind Deployment.

We will be using separate server and database for NTA flow Storage.

Is it fine if NTA flow Storage database SQL version and Orion Database SQL version will be different??

Or is it necessary that both database SQL version should be same?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hi sayalirevalkar yes it is fine for them to be different, we have many customers who have deployed an SQL 2016 just for NTA with Orion still on SQL 2012 / 2014.

One word of warning I would give, in terms of future proofing yourself, is that Orion Platform 2018.4 (Ships with NPM12.4) will require Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2014 as a minimum. It might be worth thinking about your platform as a whole and start submitting approval requests etc.

- David Smith

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hi, yes, you can use different SQL Server versions. More details at NTA 4.4 System Requirements - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Thank you . I was little confused about this even after reading installation guide.

0 Kudos

I think the main confusion is always because SolarWinds will push everyone towards SQL2016 or later. So they state that for customers running the Orion DB (NetPerfMon) in SQL 2016 SP1+ already they don't NEED to provision a brand new server they can add the NTA Database to the same instance, but there is also no requirement to upgrade your Orion DB SQL to 2016 just to run them together. You can have two totally separate servers hosting both databases.

- David Smith

Hi sayalirevalkar yes it is fine for them to be different, we have many customers who have deployed an SQL 2016 just for NTA with Orion still on SQL 2012 / 2014.

One word of warning I would give, in terms of future proofing yourself, is that Orion Platform 2018.4 (Ships with NPM12.4) will require Windows Server 2016 and SQL Server 2014 as a minimum. It might be worth thinking about your platform as a whole and start submitting approval requests etc.

- David Smith

View solution in original post

Thank you very much. It will be of great help.

0 Kudos