cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

NTA: NTA Flow Storage DB question

Jump to solution

If a company already has NTA installed, how can I find out where the NTA flow storage DB is located? From the server hosting NTA can you give me direction where to look?

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

You can get by in a small environment with fast storage subsystems, but outside of a lab I don't do it anymore.  VM's are fast and easy to deploy and if I do end up with any weird performance problems I don't want to have to worry about things like that when I call support because the first thing they are going to tell you is split them up and see if that fixes the problem.  Up until last year the NTA data was being stored within the same database as the rest of Orion but there were enough complaints about it's performance impact that SW engineers took the effort to split it out, so I expect they had some measurable reasons to do so.

-Marc Netterfield

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services 

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

One of the places I look to figure out where people have their databases stashed is to go to the main polling server and run the configuration wizard.  It will ask you to confirm the location of the SQL and NTA databases and will be pre-populated with the existing locations.

-Marc Netterfield

0 Kudos

Is it "horrible" for NPM primary SQL DB and the NTA Flow Storage DB to be on the same database server?

0 Kudos

You can get by in a small environment with fast storage subsystems, but outside of a lab I don't do it anymore.  VM's are fast and easy to deploy and if I do end up with any weird performance problems I don't want to have to worry about things like that when I call support because the first thing they are going to tell you is split them up and see if that fixes the problem.  Up until last year the NTA data was being stored within the same database as the rest of Orion but there were enough complaints about it's performance impact that SW engineers took the effort to split it out, so I expect they had some measurable reasons to do so.

-Marc Netterfield

View solution in original post

0 Kudos