This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NTA 4.0 complete environment recommandations?

Hi,

we are planning a new NPM/NTA environment. At the moment NPM 10.6 and NTA 3.11 runs on the same server.

If I read the recommandations for NPM and NTA (with FlowStorage DB) then I need 3 physical and powerful servers. One for the Poller, one for the SQL-DB and one for  the Flow Storage.

I wonder if I can use the pollerserver also for the SQL-DB (separate RAID). The most DB traffic goes to the FlowStorage DB. In the SQL DB are only a few Meta-Data. Why I need a separate derver for the Meta Date stored in a SQL-DB.

We are planning with HP p-series. If "SolarWinds NetFlow - PDUs processed" in the Windows performance monitor is the right value, we have an average of 40.000 Flows/s with peaks of 120.000 Flows/s.

Thank you for your answers

regards

olaf

• The NTA 4 FAQ discusses some recommendations - looks like you've read this?

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/5071/NTA+4.0+Installation%3A+Frequently+Asked+Questions

The optimal setup would be 3 separate servers as per the reqs outlined above. Based on the info you've given, it looks like you are going to be using netflow extensively and receiving an average of 40k flows per sec. You do not mention how many nodes/interfaces you are polling with NPM, or your license sizes?

If you want to reduce the number of servers and you are not polling a lot of elements with NPM, then you could combine your Poller and SQL DB on the same server. This would not have been recommended prior to NTA v4, however now that NTA 4 uses its own flow storage database, it's important that it has a sever of its own particularly in your environment given the flows per sec you quoted.

• Just to add on what Ciaran stated.

The key take away is to have your FSDB and SQL server on separate servers.  If you have a small deployment, which is sounds like you don't, you could get away with a single box solution.  NTA 4.X smallest recommended foot print is 2 servers.  One hosting your NPM/NTA/Orion SQL DB and one server to host your FSDB.

HTH

Marcus

• thank you for the answer. Now it becomes clearly. So if I have a lot of Interfaces to poll with NPM, I need a performant SQL Server. Also if I use the new FSDB on an additional server. The third server I need then for the NPM/NTA Poller.

We have 34 Nodes with about 1000 Interfaces.