cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Enabling Netflow in Cisco 6509 Switch on physical interface????

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have managed to succesfully enable NetFlow on our Cisco 6509 switch and are monitoring network traffic only between VLANs.

We currently have a LAN extension whereby I would like to monitor via NTA what sort of traffic is going down that link.

I have tried to enable Netflow on the Physical GigabiEthernet port but the cisco switch does not allow me to enter a Gigabit Ethernet port but only VLANs?

Is this a limitation on the cisco switch or am I just missing something? Please note that the LANExtension is in a VLAN that is being monitored but when you drill down in NTA on the specific port, its does not really show specific information I am looking for.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Alan

1 Solution

I think this may be because your GigE interface is layer 2. Netflow looks at layer 3.

Perhaps this thread from awhile back may help.

Netflow Config On 6509

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Level 8

Thanks All. I have checked on the switches and rightly said, does not support later 2 connections.

0 Kudos
Level 12

I believe you can capture bridged traffic with NetFlow. You can specify the list of VLANs here to enable bridged traffic.

ip flow ingress layer2-switched vlan <vlanlist>

ip flow export layer2-switched vlan <vlanlist>

0 Kudos
Level 13

Netflow only works on a routed interface (layer 3)

You could setup a SPAN port on the switch and use something like nprobe to convert this to flow data. You can SPAN the LAN extension port to another and this is where you connect your nprobe or other traffic analysis system

0 Kudos

I think this may be because your GigE interface is layer 2. Netflow looks at layer 3.

Perhaps this thread from awhile back may help.

Netflow Config On 6509

View solution in original post

0 Kudos