This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Do you use a netflow analyzer?

I'm in my first job as a network admin and I've had the fortune(?) to inherit a neglected but configured and connected Riverbed Cascade Express (Netflow analyzer). Doing quick Google searches and job searches it seems that Cascade devices aren't very popular. Being able to map flows has already helped me to verify problems in our network so I'm wondering why this is the case. This leads me to a few questions: Is there a much more popular brand of Netflow analyzer or do people just use Wireshark? Are netflow analyzer appliances used in most large networks? I'm primarily interested in knowing if this is a valuable skill to develop or if I'm missing some obvious alternative.
  • Netflow appliances are mostly out of fashion because there are lots of general purpose server based tools to do the same thing that tend to be a good bit cheaper/easier to use.   This section of the forum is specifically intended to be about the SolarWinds brand Netflow Traffic Analyzer software, I'd guess that just about everyone in here has found it to be a valuable tool and understanding flows in general to be a useful skill.