cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted

Re: Can Neflow Traffic Analyzer tell me how much broadcast traffic I have on my LAN?

Jump to solution

Are you positive that those subnets are seeing broadcast traffic? Are all ports being monitored for flows?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Can Neflow Traffic Analyzer tell me how much broadcast traffic I have on my LAN?

Jump to solution

Am I positve those subnets are seeing broadcast traffic ? No, What I'm attempting to do is discover the level of broadcast traffic on the LAN. Potentialy it could be very low. Most of the remote sites I'm looking at have 10-20 people mainly using Citrix with no local servers.

Are all ports being monitored? No, I'm only monitoring a small subset of ports for flows since I haven't previously needed to look at every port. Futher, I believe broadcast traffic will appear on all ports on a LAN\VLAN so there's no need to monitor all of them to see a broadcast (?). Having said that, since I'm only samplng 1 packet in 100 the more ports gives me a better chance of seeing a broadcast packet..? Either that or sample more often on the currently monitored ports?

A secondary reason to limit the number of ports monitored for flows was to limit the workload on the switches, not that I think I'm making them work hard at the moment, just being cautious.

(As background , we're using HP switches)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Stay patient - just trying to help you here, Andrew.

If it were me trying to better identify this traffic, I would increase the sampling and port monitoring. With sFlow, the load is not invasive - and I use Procurves with all ports monitored in some instances with no hiccups.

Based on your descriptions of your remote sites, I would say your chance of excessive/measurable broadcast traffic is low, short of a malfunctioning NIC/eccentric printer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Success at last

I've added a couple more monitored ports and am finaly seeing some broadcast traffic. As you predicted (and I suspected) there's not much (which is a good thing!) but I can now see it.

Thanks for all your help!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Excellent! Glad to be of assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

hi sir,

how did you add a subnet (lets say in your case: 169.254.255.255) in the NTA and examine its bandwidth?

its my first time for NTA. pls help

thanks

0 Kudos