cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

why would what appears to be unicast flooding appears as high transmit rate across ports?

Jump to solution

Could someone explain to me why unicast flooding would increase the transmit rate across the switch ports rather than the receive ports? I believe there is a  strange unicast flooding situation occurring on a stack of switches which manifests as persistently high transmit rates  in Orion NPM across the switch ports. I would expect the ports to show high receive rates for unicast flooding. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 15

I think you are monitoring the switch ports not the server's nics, is that correct, if so, you need to think of it from the switches perspective.  The switch is transmitting the unicast data out through the port to the server (Transmit).  If you thought about it in the port or server's perspective, it would be receiving it, but that's not how the counter is designed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Level 15

I think you are monitoring the switch ports not the server's nics, is that correct, if so, you need to think of it from the switches perspective.  The switch is transmitting the unicast data out through the port to the server (Transmit).  If you thought about it in the port or server's perspective, it would be receiving it, but that's not how the counter is designed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos