cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

vCenter AppStack not showing correct number of servers/VMs.

This was never fixed and I've had case open with "support" for over a month.  Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
23 Replies

aLTeReGo​, our issue just fixed itself somehow... not sure what changed but as of this morning we are all good. Im going to be closing our ticket shortly.

0 Kudos

Since you said all 218 are managed, I'll go another route with the troubleshooting.

1. The Virtual Center Details "widget" seems to be simply pulling information from vCenter.  I don't think that 218 number is coming anywhere from Orion.

2. Do you have any filtering or account limitations applied?  I've noticed that even when applying a filter you would not think to exclude nodes, some nodes are excluded.  Specifically with the EntityType filter illustrated below.  Try removing all filters and limitations and see if all 218 appear.

pastedImage_0.png

Also, verify your VM's are actually being managed:  Go to the Virtualization view and expand the clusters/hosts.  Anything italicized is NOT being managed by Orion.  For example (I know it's a host, but the same logic applies):

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

I only have status and display names for filters and they are all clear.  I don't have the options you have.  I checked the entire environment appstack and the vCenter appstack. 

I removed all of my hosts and vCenter and re-added them today.  For one moment, the VM count went up to 180ish, then I went back and it dropped back down to exactly 77 as before.  I have no idea what is going on.

0 Kudos

Note we are working with codpet​ directly via case NS966051.

0 Kudos

I am having an issue similar but my thread is getting no love anyone want to help me out. Support is not doing much at this point.

0 Kudos

kelly.ellison​, please post your case number and I will see that it's escalated.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

From the image you posted, the issue appears to be that only 77 of your 218 virtual machines are managed nodes in Orion. The 'Number of VMs' tally in the 'Virtual Center Details' resource is simply an aggregate of all virtual machines, regardless if they are managed in Orion or not.

They are all managed. Unless there's something wrong with this software even tho I specifically clicked on each VM when I set it up and said manage this node. I know I get alerts on each VM when we have an outage...

0 Kudos

So you do have 218 VMs then? We're not chasing duplication, then.

0 Kudos

Yes, I do have 218 VMs in my vCenter.

0 Kudos

Oh, well. *facepalm* What aLTeReGo​ said, then.

0 Kudos
Level 15

Looking into your ticket for you to see if there is anything I can do to help.  Just want to check on one thing first, there is a setting to limit the amount of devices displayed in the AppStack settings.  Has that been modified?

Limit.PNG

0 Kudos

Yes, that was the first thing I unchecked.  It still shows 77.  I'm trying ti disable the polling and re-enable the polling right now.  Trying this is taking forever.

Edit:  I've also tried changing the polling from vCente to directly from host and back to vCenter again.  Now I've disabled polling, and I'm re-enabling polling.  This is what's taking forever now. 

It drives me crazy that each host's AppStack shows every VM.  It's vCenter that's not showing every server/VM in it's AppStack.

0 Kudos

If you have a look in your database at the VIM_Hosts table do you have a bunch of rows with NULLs in the NodeID column?

0 Kudos

All hosts in that table have a NodeID.  There aren't any NULLs in that column for any of the hosts.

Edit:  The polling started back up for all hosts but I still only see 76 VMs out of 218. 

0 Kudos

It still smacks of the issue I had the other day. Poke around the other VIM_ tables and look for NULLs?

0 Kudos

The pollingJobID/ManageStatusMessage/TriggeredAlarmDescription/BootTime/DateCreated columns all have NULL for each host.

Edit:  The VMCount and VMRunningCount for each host is correct in the dbo.VIM_Hosts table.

0 Kudos

How many rows are in that table? Any duplicate NodeIDs?

SELECT NodeID, COUNT(1) AS Qty

FROM VIM_Hosts

GROUP BY NodeID

0 Kudos

There are 19 results, none of duplicates.

0 Kudos

And VIM_VirtualMachines? Any duplication in there?

0 Kudos