This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

v8 custom MIB poller observation during testing

After playing with the new v8 it would seem that the custom MIB utility that is going to be a part of the new tool isn't quite what everyone was hoping for...

Maybe it was just me but I was under the impression that we would have the ability to add MIB's for any devices that Orion does not natively support... this has always been one of the weaknesses of the product in v7 form...

On playing with v8 it now seems to transpire that the deivces must at least be supported at a basic level by the integrated MIB within the tools itself... if it is not then there is nothing you can do...

My main type of devices that I really wanted to add are temperature monitoring probes for my environment (make Sinetica) however even though I can add them to Orion v8 and Orion can read the basic snmp information (location, owner, etc) as they do not support the standard interface MIB provided by default no further snmp customisation can be performed..

This is a real blow... and I can imagine that there are going to be many many more people out there who are going to find this problem...

Is there anyone from Solarwinds that can please comment on this as I feel it is a very important topic and needs clarification as soon as possible.

Martin J. Hamilton... lost in a sea of snmp...
  • I hate to say it, but I have to agree. I've not been able to get it to work reliably at all. I feel that the process to add a custom MIB is very unintuitive and quite cumbersome. The fact that you can only view the poller via the website is kind of a letdown, too. I was thinking that prior to the release, the Custom MIB addition would use the Solarwinds SNMP MIB Browser and you could grab, say, a table and select multiple MIBs at once. As it is now, in order to add something like temperature for various modules in a Juniper, or monitor 4 QoS queues for several hundred interfaces, you have to add them all one by one. *VERY* time consuming.

I am hopeful that the next minor release of v8 will show much improvement. We use another application which provides the custom MIB functionality much better. I think it would behoove Solarwinds' software development group to look at some of these open source applications to get a better idea of what people are looking for with regard to custom MIB functionality.
  • I too will have to agree with both of you. Solarwinds took a huge leap forward by creating an engine to support custom mibs within Orion, however this current version is significantly below the quality that we have grown to expect from Solarwind.

TABLES support it needed in a major way.

Intuitive behavior is missing.

ease of use is non-existant.

But with that said... I am sure that now that they have the engine, the rest is just cosmetic fixes we will be getting in the near future.
  • I have used th MIB tool a lot and it is pretty cumbersome at first. It took a while to figure out how to find a MIB and actually find out how to get the information from it. Luckily I stumbled across it in the webpage configuration one day.

Even if Orion can't import or create custom MIBs like we all want, it would at least be nice if only the supported MIBs for a device showed up in the tree while searching for the MIB to use. I have used the MIB Walker but its not very easy searching through 200,000 MIBs when they are not grouped together.

I think this feature really needs to improve and become as easy as the rest of the Orion product in order to be a selling point for Solarwinds.
  • YES!YES!
    I was hoping that upgrade to Version 8 to apply this function which is very important ,but it could not work on unsupported mibs .Even the custom mob poller utility could retrieve correct value from certain devices but I can not read it from the web page,It always show me "NO DATA".

And I tried to add an new poller with oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 (system up time) which can be found in the mib tree,it dose the same as the unsupported mibs. emoticons_sad.png

The Solarwinds staff should jump out and tell us how to deal with this case or show us a way to append custom mib for orion(you could append mib to the toolset ).
  • quote:Originally posted by Jemini

YES!YES!
    I was hoping that upgrade to Version 8 to apply this function which is very important ,but it could not work on unsupported mibs .Even the custom mob poller utility could retrieve correct value from certain devices but I can not read it from the web page,It always show me "NO DATA".

And I tried to add an new poller with oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 (system up time) which can be found in the mib tree,it dose the same as the unsupported mibs. emoticons_sad.png

The Solarwinds staff should jump out and tell us how to deal with this case or show us a way to append custom mib for orion(you could append mib to the toolset ).

and I also find a event notice " Exception Encounter during BeginPoll. Context - After InternalLoadTest - Before InternalLoad Detail- Index was outside the bounds of the array. " after add an new pooler with oid 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0 and assign it to a cisco router, could anyone tell me what dose that mean and how to fix that? thx