cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 17

unknown machine type

I'm wondering how to dictate what "MachineType" Orion sees a node as.  I have created some "ping test points" and would like to have the MachineType show up as that.  If I change the field in SQL, Orion overwirtes it.  Where does it grab that from.  The object was created as "ping only", not SNMP in NPM, so I can't see it overwriting it with an SNMP value.  Anyone run into this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Level 12

Hi,

I had a similar question; "How Can I Assign I Vendor or Machine Type to the HSRP IP Address that is just being Polled?"

Answer Provided by SolarWinds Trainer; Ed Barbieri

Within this SolarWinds Success Centre Information you will see that this can be done by editing the NodesData via the SolarWinds Database Manger.

0 Kudos

This link no longer works - its broken and havent been able to find the solution in the success centre

0 Kudos
Level 9

Representing Alaska's largest provider of internet services chiming in.

We are happily paying SolarWinds for licensing which is up for renewal next year...

Please consider this our vote in favor of this feature.

#vote

#developer

#help

#support

upvote the idea here: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/1952

being able to set this has not garnered as many votes as other ideas

still waiting.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Level 9

I've been waiting for that feature about 2 years. I hope developer team release the little change soon, but seems to be hard after read old posts about the issue.

0 Kudos

Bumping it Up. I would like this functionality as well

Level 7

So, here we are...nearly 5 years after the first posted issue with manually editing the Unknown machine type...and it's still not available.  If the IA guys would just authorize Nagios we wouldn't have to keep throwing money away on expensive Solarwinds licenses to ping devices...

Nice timely response to the user community Solarwinds!  Keep up the good mediocre work!

0 Kudos

phreakingeek,

Unfortunately we still don't have an out of the box way to do this. However, by using Custom Properties, you might be able to solve some of the problems posed by this. Simply add a custom property to a node, for example: CustomVendor, then populate that value for your nodes. You can then use this property to group by and show up in most situations (to see in the map tooltip you'll need to add a macro to show the property).

I definitely agree it's not an ideal work around, but perhaps it will meet your needs.

Mav

0 Kudos
Level 7

Has this made its way to the 'Feature Request' list?  This is still functionality that I believe is needed.

0 Kudos

It's definitely on the list.

0 Kudos

how many of these things make it onto the list and actually get actioned?

0 Kudos

Bumping this. Did it ever get added? If so, I haven't managed to figure out how to do it.

0 Kudos

Nope. Never got added. If it isn't SNMP, it won't play ball.   😞

0 Kudos

Can you expand on your question a little please

0 Kudos

I would also like to see this feature. Right now all my "Ping only" devices have an Unknown machine type. It would be great to be able to manually select what they are, as well as create custom machine types.

0 Kudos

So basically, my ping test points 'machinetype' show up as unknown.  I believe if I edit that property, it will get overwritten on re-discovery.  I am wondering if there - is/can be added - a way to edit these to remove the "unknown" types

0 Kudos

Hello--

I've marked this for the PM to see.

M

0 Kudos