This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

unknown machine type

I'm wondering how to dictate what "MachineType" Orion sees a node as.  I have created some "ping test points" and would like to have the MachineType show up as that.  If I change the field in SQL, Orion overwirtes it.  Where does it grab that from.  The object was created as "ping only", not SNMP in NPM, so I can't see it overwriting it with an SNMP value.  Anyone run into this?

Thanks

• Have you tried stopping the services on the Orion server (and any other polling engines you may have) before making the SQL change? When the services are running, the polling engines hold a copy of the DB info, and are the master. Changes made directly to the DB while Orion is running will be overwritten at the time of the next update.

Just a guess...

• I will give that a try and let you know.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Tried that and still overwrites it within minutes of polling engines coming back up.

• Well, POO!!!

It was worth a shot. :(

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Could you tell me a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish?  Why do you want to change the Machine Type value?  This would be a feature request, but if I'm going to add it to the queue, it really helps if I understand the scenario and the problem you want to solve.

• Basically, when it shows up in the map, it shows unknown type and I'd like to be able to have it specify the purpose of the node for clarity with my network operations.  See pic - if I can get it in the post.

long and short is I have ping test points (ICMP ONLY nodes) that give me round trip time info per virtual ckt and I would like to make the description for those ICMP test point or something.

• Would just like to second this request as it would clean up the solution. At least it should default to an ICMP icon or something when the nodes are ICMP only. Also a litte guide on how to add new icon's would be nice. Have'nt tested adding new icons on v8.1 but i managed to get the new icon's working on the web, but not in the NPM Console.

• I agree on this on this as well, it would be nice to be able to change this field.

• I too would like to have the ability to rename an Unknown machine type. Like others here I have some devices that I am only using ICMP to monitor. I would really like to give them a machine type that makes sense rather than Unknown.

It would be so nice to be able to click on Node Details in System Manager and then change the Machine Type field to what I want it to be. I found yesterday that even my Datamax Printers show up as Unknown even though they are added using SNMP. The machine type still shows as Unknown.

K Harbaugh

• We have a couple of McData fiber switches that are being discovered via SNMP and their type shows up as nothing (a blank.) We are running version 8.5.1 of Orion NPM SLX.

Is there any way to fill in the type field with some sort of symbol/icon?

Paul