cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

submap status propagation up

I have a main map, then sub-maps for my switch fabric. The sub-map has the switch objects on it and child status' shows issues, but this does not propagate up to the parent map.
A search of the forum showed some tips and tricks, but none that seem to address this.

Any thoughts? Thanks
0 Kudos
16 Replies
Level 7

I am seeing very small dots at the lower right corner of my icons in the top level map showing the child status.  It is very hard to see and I would just as well have the whole icon turn a warning color.  Solar Winds , pardon the pun, but "What'sUp"

0 Kudos

Craw-

can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing so we might be able to replicate this behavior in house.

0 Kudos

I think the behavior that Craw is talking about is when the small indication of an issue is an indication that a specific interface or node is down and not the entire reference.  When you drill down and look at the icon for the specific interface, it is a solid red dot.  I am pretty sure this is by design by the reason of "Why would you want it to indicate full red when the entire reference is not really unavailable?"  That would make the apperance of things look more negative; although, I can see why you would want that.

My personal workaround suggestion is to make the Icon larger on the main map so the indication is more visible.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I am experiencing the same issue.  When my submaps or child status' indicate issues, the indication does not propagate to the parent map.  I searched the forum and found old tips; I applied all tips, threshold 100%, propagate to parent map node option checked on all nodes.

Is there a patch to resolve this issue?  It would be nice to have a global map on screen and whenever a issue occurs with a child node, the indication of the icon changing color or something would be nice.  We could then drill down on the maps until the specific node for the issue is found.

I would appreciate some help on this.

0 Kudos

What a coincidence you should post that today.  I am having the same issue.  I have a map showing all network devices, one of which has two ports down.  There is a parent map that 'contains' the map of network devices, yet the parent map shows the network map as all green.

I am looking for a summary to post on a NOC summary page, any ideas are welcome.

JA

0 Kudos

Has it ever worked for you?

0 Kudos

From the Parent Map - when you right click on the Object in question -> then properties , is the Show Child Map checked?

0 Kudos

"Show Child Map" is not an option.  Are you referring to "Show Child Status Also"?  If so, then yes, it is checked.  All objects on the Parent Map are in question.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos

Map status will be UP on parent Maps if 100% or more objects on Map are UP.  If number of UP objects is below 100%, Map status will be Warning, Down, or Unknown.

Even with this setting, the issue still occurs.

0 Kudos

Same things for me.  As far as if this ever worked... It did when I was using 7.8 and working at a different company.  This is a new install of 8.1 with all hotfixes.  Here is a scenario of my setup.

I have a Cisco 6509 on a map called Network Map.  The 6509 has 2 ports down, so the icon on the Network Map shows a small red box indicating that two child items are not working.  The parent map, called System Status, has icons for multiple maps, one of which is the Network Map.  The icon for the Network Map in the Status Map shows as green, as if there were no problems.  I believe this should also show the little red box.

Am I missing something?

JA 

0 Kudos

Some more information here...

It appears if a node on the submap is down, it is reflected in the parent map properly.  If an interface on a node on the submap is down, it is not reflected.  Is this by design?

For instance, I have added a map for Workstations.  That is on the System Status map.  When a workstation was powered off, the Workstations link on the parent map went to Warning (Yellow).  The submap shows the workstation down (red).

JA

0 Kudos

JA, That further describes the same issue I am experiencing.

0 Kudos

So either there is a bug or this is by design.  Hopefully Solarwinds can chime in soon.

0 Kudos

I had this issue and this is by design I think.  Basically what I came up with/was told, was that the objects' status' are what is propagated up.  I got around this, with some time/effort by nesting further maps.

Essentially, I have a top map that shows switch fabric -> maped to a page that shows my 6500s (or individual switch).  Each blade is a map object that shows that blade blown up, where each port is the interface object for that interface.  Thus, if an interface goes down, it propagates all the way up.  Definitely a bit of work up front, but working extremely well for us.

See below:

0 Kudos

thanks for the post njoylif.

Let me get this straight, maps are only one layer deep?

My nodes on the layer 3 and 4 map do not show on the Parent

0 Kudos

I don't see your image, but for mine, the maps go 3 deep.  first is a main map second is the switch fabric map (several 6500s and others), 3rd is the map of the individual blades or switches blown up - which each port is an object for each interface.  My image shows parts of map level 2 and map level 3 for a blade.

0 Kudos