cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

solarwind server can't contact smtp

im trying to enable e-mail alerts on my solarwind server but the problem is that my solarwind server cant contact the smtp server for some reason? whenever i try to telnet on port 25 the smtp server it fails , while i can telnet other devices from my solarwind server , at the same time i can telnet on port 25 my smtp servers from other devices , so that leaves my solarwind server and my smtp server that cant contact each other for some strange reason?

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 17

The issue is clearly outside the SolarWinds software. You will need to check with your email admin on the correct settings for email relay. It need not be port 25. Some email servers require authentication and/or encryption (TLS).

0 Kudos

but from my workstation computer i can telnet on port 25 without TLS or authentication? could the solarwind server need something to be enabled to log in smtp? bear in mind the telnet is working on the solarwind server and i can telnet other devices?

0 Kudos

Nothing needs to be enabled on the solarwinds server to connect to an SMTP server for mail relay. It is sounding like a firewall or routing issue from the SolarWinds server.

0 Kudos

well other devices in the same solarwind server subnet can contact the smtp mail server so i guess that rules out the routing issue? also i can ping the smtp mail server from my solarwind server

0 Kudos

In the SMTP settings are you using a DNS name or IP address? If using the DNS name, try the IP address.

0 Kudos

i tried the ip address with no use.

0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am facing similar issue.I can reach SMTP on port 25 on the server ,i can also reach SMTP Ip via ping test on the server but each time i do test it fails.

2020-07-10 19:45:35,113 [8] WARN  SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Utility.Smtp.SmtpServerConnectionChecker - (null)  Failed to get host entry X.X.X.X port 25. No such host is known

2020-07-10 20:17:27,517 [175] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Core.Actions.Impl.Email.EmailMethodInvoker - (null)  Test for SMTP server (X.X.X.X , SSL disabled, Authentication disabled) failed

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040213): The transport failed to connect to the server.

Kindly assist.

0 Kudos