cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

server not responding to icmp

Jump to solution

I have one server that is having some issues.  Orion can see the server with snmp fine, it gets the resources and ect.  The status shows it is down because it fails with ICMP.  Here's where I am getting stuck.  The server is not behind a firewall.  From the Orion servers, the routers, or from my desktop I can ping it just fine, and a tracert shows everything is fine.  We have another tool that uses ICMP and it sees the server fine without any issues.  However from ANY Orion tool it fails.  I cannot get a response from anything in the Engineer's toolset or with NPM.  Just not sure where to go from here.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 13
Have you tried modifying the data portion of the icmp packets used by the Solarwinds tools?

See this thread for more info:

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Level 13
Have you tried modifying the data portion of the icmp packets used by the Solarwinds tools?

See this thread for more info:

View solution in original post

Good deal that fixed the issue.  Don't really understand why this one server had an issue with that text, but oh well it's working now.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

Okay maybe I was a little quick.  It did fix the issue for the one server but then about 16 other servers showed down and had the same symptoms a little after making that change.  So I changed it back and they came back online and the original server showed offline again.

0 Kudos
Level 9

1) If possible.. can put the same server-IP-address to a Laptop, for example..  ?   to check whether it is something on the server or on the network.

2)  Can you ping from Orion another IP in the same network segment ?

0 Kudos
Level 15
Just curious, can any of these SolarWinds products ping any other server? Have you always had a problem with this server?
0 Kudos