This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

"Merging" Interfaces (Feature Request)

One of my favorite features of a competing product (NetQoS) is the abilty to "merge" interfaces.   By that I mean things like you replace an old 2600 series router that your traffic was on Serial0/1 with a new 2801 that uses Serial0/2/0.  Even if you "modify" the network object by rediscovering the router and putting in the new interface, you can't leave the old interface sitting around because you'll get an error, so you have to delete it and lose all those good statistics so you can monitor the new interface.  I would like to merge this old interface with the new one before I delete it.

Or another one would be you decide to upgrade a site from a single T1 to a multilink bonded T1, so the interface you want to look at traffic reports is going to be "interface Multilink 1" instead of "Serial 0/1/0" now.   With NetQoS, I can add in the "new" interface and delete the old one, and I preserve my traffic statistics from the old...   However, unlike NetQoS where I delete the old interface, in this case so I can monitor whether individual T1's go down or not, I'd like to still keep the old interface rather than delete it...

While both of these examples are using the same Node, it would be nice to be able to merge between nodes too...

Is it just me, or is anyone else wanting features like this?   Very important for the decision making process in the Enterprise sometimes!!!   I'm betting the SP market would like it also, so they don't lose statistics on their clients during circuit moves or upgrades.