This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

polling on port other than 161

Has anyone ever managed to get solarwinds to poll snmp via any other port than the standard 161? Checkpoint uses port 260 and I need to poll a nokia running the checkpoint process. I thought that the universal device poller would allow you to change the default snmp port?

•  you can define the port in the Node details page from the system mgr or website under Node mgt -> edit properties.

• I did this and it works for me.  Although if you need to poll on more than one port, it gets tricky.

Bo

• aynov,

What do you mean it gets tricky if I need to poll on more than one port??

•  Mark,

I just tried changing the port to 260 under the system manager and the node itself, and it does not verify that it works. I checked firewall rules and it is allowed via 260.

I tried to use the UDP and  browse the MIB tree but that times out as well when it is set to 260.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to spdd3mn

We just received a request to change the SNMP port for a particular server.  I tried changing the port from 161 to 50161 but System Manager won't apply change permanently.  Changed the port number to 50161, clicked on Validate SNMP button and returns 'Node Validation Successful', clicked Apply Changes, then closed panel.  Reopened Node Details and SNMP port is still 161.  What gives?  Is this a bug?  Is there workaround?  I have a server I cannot poll now.  We're running v8.5.1 SP3.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

RG,

Seems like a bug to us.  You can open a ticket, and we'll see if we can reproduce it on 9.1 SP1 (soon to be SP2).  If it's still broken, we'll fix it on the 9.1 branch.  It's unlikely that we'll go back to 8.5.1.

• FormerMember

We had a bit more discussion about this after Denny appears to have gone back to jury duty.  It looks like in this case, we limit the max port number to 32767(signed 16 bit instead of unsigned).  If you can get the device to use a port number below that, you should be fine.

• FormerMember
    we limit the max port number to 32767(signed 16 bit instead of unsigned)

Thank you and Denny for your quick responses on this.  This is an Openview system running the EMANATE Agent (SNMP Research) which was installed during the product installation.  I don't know if this can be done but we'll have to contact HP to see if this is possible.  I can't find where the port is configurable.  They'll probably tell us to contact SNMP Research.  Any chance the limit on the port number can be bumped to 64K?

Edit: I found the file (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc \services) where to change the port number so we can change it.  Still would like to request the limit be bumped to 64K.

• FormerMember

The best way to make sure we get this into our system is to open a support ticket and reference this Thwack thread.  That will get the ball rolling.  It also has the advantage of when the issue is fixed, you'll get notified by support.

• FormerMember

Done.  Case #70998

Thanks Casey!