cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

phantomJS eating up all Memory resources

We are having an issue where SolarWinds spawns many "PhantomJS is a headless WebKit with javaScript API" processes that are eating up all Memory resources on the Main Polling engine. The only way to get rid of them is to restart the server however after restart they are slowly appearing again till they eat all memory and another restart is required.

pastedImage_0.png

Anyone had similar issue?

We are running Orion Platform 2018.4 HF3, WPM 2.2.3, IPAM 4.8.1 HF1, SRM 6.8.0, NCM 7.9, NPM 12.4, DPAIM 11.1.1, VMAN 8.4.0, SAM 6.8.0, NetPath 1.1.4 © 1999-2019 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 10

Together with support we were able to find the root cause.

Those memory leaks are caused by "Email web page" alert action that had dynamic variables in it (it was detaching CPU&Memory widget and adding it to email notification as attachment). Looks like SolarWinds was trying to generate those attachments in infinite loop spawning PhantomJS processes and not closing/killing them after timing out. This started happening after 2018.4 HF3 installation.

So we had to remove this action from alerts or disable those alerts who had it configured. Currently waiting for a fix / more info.

Level 9

Do you know what method was used to identify that alert?

I am seeing similar issue on 2019.4 HF3

0 Kudos
Level 10

In my case it was simple as we had only one alert that was generating the "Email web page" action. All what I can think of is to go to Manage Alerts -> Action Manager -> Group by Action Type and then go through each of them and verify that URL is correct.

Other way would be to disable all alerts with this action and then enable and simulate them one by one.

0 Kudos