This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to monitor disk space for mount points

My exchange server uses mount points for datastores instead of mapped drive letters from my san. I want to monitor the size of the mount points. How can I get the mount points to show up in solarwinds so I can get alerts on disk usage?

• According to this older thread, you need APM (SAM) to monitor mount points using a component monitor:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/18617

Hope that helps,

Chris

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Use WMI and not SNMP. You will then see the mount points.

• I realize this is an old post but thought I'd add how I monitor our Exchange mounted volumes so it may help others.  I do use APM (SAM) as cmgurley mentioned above.

This is a from a template containing a "performance counter monitor" that will provide space remaining returned in GB. In the "instance" section list the full path to your mount point.  Make sure to note the other fields data.

Edit: screenshot is horrible once posted so i'll list the field data:

Coponent Type: Performance Counter Monitor

Counter: Free Megabytes

Instance:  <list full file path to mount point here>

Category: LogicalDisk

Convert Value: YES     Custom conversion - FORMULA: KiloToMega(${Statistic})

Mounted Volume - FreeGB.JPG

This is another "performance counter  monitor" that will provide space remaining returned in a percentage. Again, in the "instance" section list the full path to your mount point and note the other field data.  After creating the SAM template apply it to your exchange server.

Edit: screenshot is horrible once posted so i'll list the field data:

Coponent Type: Performance Counter Monitor

Counter: % Free Space

Instance:  <list full file path to mount point here>

Category: LogicalDisk

Convert Value: YES     Custom conversion - FORMULA: Round(${Statistic},1)

Mounted Volume - % Free Space.JPG

Now you can create necessary email alerts and summarize the data using the web part labeled "Top XX Components by Statistic Data"if you choose as I have in the shot below for quick viewing. Hope this helps!

Mounted Volume - shot.JPG

Message was edited by: dusty curr Edited screenshot info due to bad screenshots

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to dc_san

This is how they show up in APM.

mp.png

• I'm currently running SAM 6.0.0.  My mounted volumes are not listed when I do a "list resources" against my mailbox servers.  Are there any other requirements that you know of that I may be missing?  I do not have hardware health monitoring enabled against them as I do not have the IBM systems director agent installed on the server.  I don't think that is a requirement though........could be wrong.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to dc_san

Go into the node management. Switch from SNMP to WMI then list resources.

wmi.png

• Thanks!!!  I think I'm going to stick with my current form of monitoring via SNMP and using SAM templates though.  It appears I will lose my current data/trending if I switch to WMI now and monitoring WMI vs SNMP will use five times the resources.  Maybe for future servers with mount points.  Thanks again!

• If you have APM, you can monitor the free space on the Volume Mount Points via a Windows Script Monitor with a VBScript.  WE use this and it works great.  Below is the Monitor Description and the VBScript we use and the Script Arguments.  You will have to manually edit the WarningThreshold and CriticalThreshold variable values before running on the nodes.  As long as you know which nodes have Volume Mount Points, you would then assign this SAM Template to those nodes.  You also may want to set up an Advanced Alert.  :

Component Description:  This monitor is required only on nodes with Sub-Directory Mount Points.  We are using the out-of-the-box SolarWinds Volume Monitoring instead for regular root level drive monitoring (e.g. C:\).  Logical Disk Freespace check for Sub-Directory Mount Points (where the DriveLetter IS NULL).  If Statistic has a value of 2 then one or more Sub-Directory Mount Point drives are in Warning status and no Sub-Directory Mount nPoint drives in Critical Status (reports on all Sub-Directory Mount Point drives in Warning status).  If Statistic has a value of 3 then one or more Sub-Directory Mount Point  drives are in Critical status (reports on all Sub-Directory Mount Point drives in both Waring or Critical status).  Reports on all Logical Volumes in WMI Win32_Volume object where the DriveLetter IS NULL (designating it as a Sub-Directory Mount Point) AND the DriveType = 3 (Local Disk)

Script Arguments:  ${IP}

Script Engine:  vbscript

------------start VBScript----------------

'Option Explicit

On Error Resume Next

' Set Thesholds for this component

'Set Warning Threshold for all drives

Const WarningThreshold = 10

' Set Critical Threshold for all drives

Const CriticalThreshold = 5

' Required for WMI Query

Const wbemFlagReturnImmediately = &h10

Const wbemFlagForwardOnly = &h20

' Define Variables

Dim WshShell, objArgs, strIP, objWMIService, LogicalVolumes

Dim objItem, strDriveName, IntCapacity, IntFree, DiskFreePct

Dim strIgnoreFlag

Dim strMessage, IntStatistic

' Analyze Arguments (one argument is expected which is the IP Address of the Node to monitor

set objArgs = WScript.Arguments

If objArgs.Count > 0 Then

strIP= objArgs(0)

End If

' Set the initial Statistic value to 0 which is all drives normal

IntStatistic = 0

' Set strIgnoreFlag = "No"

'

' If IntStatistic stays at 0 then all Sub-Directory Mount Point drives (DriveLetter IS NULL) are normal

'

' If IntStatistic has a value of 2 then one or more Sub-Directory Mount Point drives are in Warning status and no drives in Critical Status (reports on all drives in Warning status)

'

' If IntStatistic has a value of 3 then one or more Sub-Directory Mount Point drives are in Critical status (reports on all drives in both Waring or Critical status)

'Set the initial Message to blank

strMessage = ""

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strIP & "\root\CIMV2")

If Err <> 0 Then

WScript.Echo "Message: Error Could not connect to  WMI root CIMV2 Namespace on IP " & strIP & ".  The Error Number was: " & Err.Number & ".  The Error Description was: " & Err.Description & "."

Wscript.echo "Statistic: 1"

Err.Clear

Wscript.quit(1)

Else

Set LogicalVolumes = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_Volume where DriveType = '3' AND DriveLetter IS NULL", "WQL", wbemFlagReturnImmediately + wbemFlagForwardOnly)

If Err <> 0 Then

WScript.Echo "Message: Error Could not connect to  WMI Win32_Volume on IP " & strIP & ".  The Error Number was: " & Err.Number & ".  The Error Description was: " & Err.Description & "."

Wscript.echo "Statistic: 1"

Err.Clear

Wscript.quit(1)

Else

For Each objItem In LogicalVolumes

If ( objItem.DriveType = 3 ) Then

strDriveName = objItem.Name

'Checking Drivename for the patterns HarddiskVolume, LiveBackups, MAGLIB, and MagLib, and if found, skips to next drive in loop (zero means the pattern is not found)

If strDriveName <> "" AND (InStr(1,strDriveName, "HarddiskVolume", 1) = 0) AND (InStr(1,strDriveName, "Livebackups", 1) = 0) AND (InStr(1,strDriveName, "MAGLIB", 1) = 0) AND (InStr(1,strDriveName, "MagLib", 1) = 0) Then

' strMessage = strMessage & " Logical Volume Name: " & strDriveName

IntFree = objItem.FreeSpace

' strMessage = strMessage & "  Free Space: " & IntFree & " bytes"

IntCapacity = objItem.Capacity

' strMessage = strMessage & "  Capacity: " & IntCapacity & " bytes"

DiskFreePct = ((IntFree/IntCapacity)*100.00)

DiskFreePct = Round(DiskFreePct, 2)

' strMessage = strMessage & "  Disk_Free_Pct: " & DiskFreePct

If ( DiskFreePct <= WarningThreshold ) Then

'    strMessage = strMessage & "  WarningThreshold LOOP Entered."

If DiskFreePct <= CriticalThreshold Then

' strMessage = strMessage & "  CriticalThreshold LOOP Entered."

IntStatistic = 3

strMessage = strMessage & "  ---  " & strDriveName & " Critical " & DiskFreePct & "% <=" & CriticalThreshold & "%."

Else

If IntStatistic <= 2 Then

IntStatistic = 2

' strMessage = strMessage & "  Setting IntStatistic to 2.  Warning Threshold exceeded on " & strDriveName & "."

strMessage = strMessage & "  --- " & strDriveName & " Warning " & DiskFreePct & "% <=" & WarningThreshold & "%."

Else

' strMessage = strMessage & "  Warning Threshold exceeded on " & strDriveName & "."

strMessage = strMessage & "  ---  " & strDriveName & " Warning " & DiskFreePct & "% <=" & WarningThreshold & "%."

End If

End If

End If

Else

strIgnoreFlag = "Yes"

strMessage = strMessage & "  LogicalDriveName: " & strDriveName & "  has been ignored due to either a blank Drive Name or due to one of the following patterns being in the Drive Name: HarddiskVolume LiveBackups MAGLIB MagLib."

End If

End If

Next

If IntStatistic = 0 Then

If strIgnoreFlag = "Yes" Then

strMessage = "The Disk Free Space for all Sub-Directory Mount Point drives is Normal." & strMessage

Else

strMessage = "The Disk Free Space for all Sub-Directory Mount Point drives is Normal."

End If

End If

WScript.Echo "Message: " & Date & " " & Time & " " & strMessage & "  Statistic Value is: " & IntStatistic

WScript.Echo "Statistic: " & IntStatistic

WScript.Quit(IntStatistic)

End If

End If

WScript.Quit(0)

------------end VBScript-----------------