cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

how do we create snmp community strings?

hello all,

can anyone tell me in details on how to create SNMP community strings?

thanks

0 Kudos
21 Replies

A community string is just that - a string of characters!  Do you mean how the strings are configured on a specific device, as the configuration steps are different depending on the device you are working with?  There is also the question on which version to use.

Could you give a bit more details on what you are looking to achieve?

0 Kudos

in defining a node there i a part wherein we will input the read/write community string:____________

what do we usually input in there?

certainly i nee to know how the strings are configured on a specific device

is the strings are configured on a specific device = enabling SNMP ??

thanks

0 Kudos

I hope you are not going to set a Read/Write community string without using SNMP v3 (encryption and authentication capable).  Windows systems are not capable of SNMP v3. Most network devices and unix systems can use v3.  SNMP v1 and v2 are not encrypted.  You would be sending a "String" (password) across the network in plain text.  This password would have write capability to the configuration of your IBM server. Set a Read Only string if possible.

0 Kudos

i have created SNMPv1.. i did not create read/write community string. i can now see some interface on my netflow source and a node from top10 netflow sources by percent utilization..however my endpoint,application.conversation are still blank

0 Kudos

i have IBM v7000 storage connected to a sanswitch.. how do i enable SNMP on it? the V7000 storewise has no snmp enable on its gui.. will i use the cli on the sanswitch to enable its snmp?

thanks

0 Kudos

A quick google found this:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/storwize/ic/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.storwize.v7000.doc%2Fsvc_se...

This looks like traps though rather than SNMP GET.  This is common, as some storage vendors prefer you to use their own monitoring tools, so don't support SNMP queries

0 Kudos

the V7000 storewise has no CLI.. where will i encode the those commands?

thanks

0 Kudos

The strings are configured in different places, depending on the device.  If the device has a web config portal, it will be setup somewhere there, or on a cisco device for example, it is configured in the cli.

What is the specific device you are working with?

0 Kudos

what will i input in the read/write community string:____________ ??

my device is an IBM server

0 Kudos

The sting you choose is up to you.  The defaults are usually PUBIC and PRIVATE, but these should be changed.  The only criteria is they match at both ends

0 Kudos

yeah.. the default is public in the field of community strings.

but after that there is a read/write community string which im confused what to put-in.

0 Kudos

Unless you need write access over SNMP (probably unlikely as you would know if you did) so just leave it blank...

0 Kudos

ahh i see.. but when i click the "test" button it fails..

0 Kudos

Have you configured a matching string on the device?  You say the device is an IBM Server.  Is this a windows server?

0 Kudos

what is a matching string on the device? and how do we do that?

yes it is windows server.

0 Kudos

On a windows server you must have the SNMP service installed and running.  The community string is configured on the security tab of the SNMP Service Properties window.

The sting you configure here must be the same as the string you configure on the NPM server.

Here is a nice tutorial:

Appendix B - Simple Network Management Protocol

0 Kudos

does the SNMP service is an .exe file? can it be downloaded?

0 Kudos

No, the SNMP service is a windows service.  Have you checked the link I posted?

0 Kudos

i see.. thanks a lot sir

0 Kudos

You're Welcome

0 Kudos