This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

email notification bandwidth utilization

Hi,

first of all, I'm quite new to Solarwinds products. I recently installed the Network Performance Monitor and the Network Traffic Analyzer.

We have a MPLS network with about 60 routers sending Netflow traffic (egress traffic on the WAN connection). I have SNMP read access on those routers.

Currently I'm having 2 questions:

1) I would like to receive an email when the interface utilization is more than e.g. 90% during e.g. 1 minute. Is this possible? I've been reading the NPM admin guide and I have been testing with the 'Alerts & Activity' module but I'm not able to configure this. I suppose I should create an alert when this is happening with a triggered acion (action should be send an email in this example). Is this correct? I can create a trigger condition but I don't find 'interface utilization' or something like that as a variable.

2) It seems interesting to get a warning (I prefer by email) when an unknow application starts communicating on the MPLS Network. I've found the alert 'alert me when new traffic for application http appears'. I duplicated this alert and I changed the QoE application to Citrix ICA and I enabled this alert, but how should I assign this monitor to some nodes in the network?  It's enabled now, but I don't receive any warning allthoug there is definitely citrix trafficL...

Thanks!

Gijs.

• Yes you can definitely alert on interface utilization. I've set an alert for all my WAN links to alert me if utilization is over 90% for a continuous 10 mins. It email me when that occurs. In the email I include a link directly to the interface, so you can just click on it and using NTA see what's causing the high traffic usage.