This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

buffer too small?

I consistently throughout the day have been getting an event saying "ACE-PROD Standby has stopped responding (Buffer Too Small)", and then "ACE-PROD Standby is responding again. Response time is 0 milliseconds", usually ~2 minutes later.  I'm not seeing anything in the logs on the device (Cisco ACE 4710) referencing any buffer errors or issues. When pinging the device from the NPM server, i consistently get response times <1ms. What is NPM basing the lack of response on and where is it getting this buffer error from?

Thanks

THC

• We base the response time of the device on ping and we use the same facility as you do from the command line.  Errors & Discards for an interface we poll via SNMP from the IF-MIB

• It is possible that device is discarding icmp packets with buffer size lower than some value. If this is true I would recommend to change the ICMP data text and enter some longer text to increase the buffer size.

Setting it to default value "SolarWinds NPM Status Query" would make the buffer size equal to 27 bytes.

Default buffer size for ping command (in windows) is 32 bytes. Can you try to ping your device with buffer size = 27:

ping -l 27 <Device IP>