cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

best way of adding newly active interfaces to an existing node

Folks,

Excuse this if it has been raised a thousand times before - I did have a look and could not see if covered off.

Within NPM (v10) we are in the practice of adding nodes and interfaces that are "active". So far so good. At some later date lets say that we start making use of a interface that was previously not connected (so operationally down) - I would like NPM to spot this and add it to the polling cycle for that node. At the moment the way this is achieved is via the WEB GUI -> manage node -> select the node -> List Resources -> tick the interface we now wish to monitor.

When you have a lot of devices on a big network this is a bit of a pain. Is there a way to do this from a CLI? Is there a way to simply schedule adding all active interfaces on a node? I want to get away from the mouse and click approach. I had hoped that the discovery process that seems to be running every 30 minutes would allow this. I really only need to check and add newly active interfaces once a day.

And finally to spin this around - is the really simple solution to add all interfaces (regardless if they are operationally down) at point of adding the device. Fine for non-modular bit of kit, but does it place a load on the poller?

On the whole I need this to apply to all physical interfaces, but also .1q etc. sub interfaces too.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome!

John

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 7

please provide update to this feature request.  Time saver!

0 Kudos

Adding onto njoylif, if you are not worried about the amount of interfaces, you should add all the interfaces, and then any interfaces that are not in use and down should then be set to Unplugged. This will stop them showing as down, and you should then be able to see when they come up and down. 

When a unplugged port comes up, Orion starts polling the interface, so there wouldnt be any loss statistics. 

Level 11

In our situation, new customers are expected to move in and plug into our internet switch but we don't usually know when that's going to happen.  Once their interface is configured on the switch, I add the resource and set it to show as unplugged rather than down.  However, once they do plug in, if it goes down we need to know about it via an interface down alert.

So I set up an alert that lets me know whenever an interface is unplugged.  This, of course, will fire immediately when the resource is added.  But I am more interested in the reset, which lets me know when it changes from unplugged to up.  Now I am notified when a customer plugs in and can go into the interface settings and uncheck the "unplugged" box.

This also allows me to set up all of the reports and views for that interface in advance of them plugging in.

I tried using an interface "has changed" alert but that wasn't working for some reason so this was my solution.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I'd like to add my request for this feature with the following capabilities.

*ability to select specific interfaces to auto detect new or deleted sub-interfaces

*ability to select by site, machine type or interface type (E.G., GigE, XE, AE or other specific interface. Not Type 6 or 3 etc)

*ability to automatically detect new subinterfaces such as VLANS, Links

*ability to alarm on selected physical interfaces

Our SW NMP is currently monitoring well over 80,000 physical interfaces, engineers and customer marketing have requested that new customers added to a physical interface get picked up automatically and like wise disconnected customers be removed from collection. Manually doing this via List Resources, or using network sonar has proven UNMANAGEABLE and from a database standpoint INACCURATE.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Radioman--

Would you mind posting these requests in the NPM Feature Request forum so it can be reviewed by the right eyes?  I do not have the ability to separate your post from the rest of the discussion, otherwise I would move it for you 🙂

Thanks!
DH

Level 9

I reposted, but since this was about collecting interrfaces automatically, I felt it belonged here.

Next for large Enterprises, it can't be an ALL or Nothing solution for new interfaces, my problem is we are growing exponentially.

In responsed to my feature request, I got, use sonar. well that's just fine, if you don't want to delete thousdands of interfaces or go device by device creating exclusion lists.

The feature is needed, and it's obvious for the comments on these posts.

Thanks

Radioman

Verizon Network Engineering

0 Kudos
Level 17

nice add, thx 🙂

0 Kudos
Level 10

I'd also love to know the solution to this.

Level 17

I think the common route is to add all interfaces no matter status.  This prevents you from having to circle around - especially if licensing is not an issue.  It also ensures you keep ports not in use in shutdown state so not alarming and thus, something can't just get plugged in.

Not sure if discovery settings would allow you to do what you are looking for either as I don't use it - we use above method.

0 Kudos