This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

audible alerts

I'm curious to find out what the interest is for audible alerts from users of orion.

Our prob is that the audible alerts available on the poller are quite useless, since our monitoring group uses a web interface - that's the reason solarwinds was attractive in the first place, client/server and all that. I don't want to rely on email or paging alerts, as we know how reliable those systems can be.
  • Try the "Send a Windows Net Message" action.
    These will pop-up on the remote PC's screen.

Also, it's quite common in a NOC environment to connect to polling engine speaker to the paging system and then use text-to-speech alerts.
  • Don,
    that messaging needs netbios, not available in our case (crossing a couple of routers).
  • Net messaging works fine in our environment crossing 6 routers.
    It uses TCP/IP or possibly netbios over TCP/IP.

-=Cheers=-
    NG
  • quote:Originally posted by Don Yonce

Try the "Send a Windows Net Message" action.
    These will pop-up on the remote PC's screen.

Also, it's quite common in a NOC environment to connect to polling engine speaker to the paging system and then use text-to-speech alerts.

I find that Orion alert engine only support english TTS even if other
    TTS engines installed. Will Orion "speak" other langueages in the future?
  • we use the syslog feature to create an audible alert on a system within our help desk (SW server sends syslog to a PC running Kiwi's Syslogd program, which launches the audible trigger).

We are working on having the SW server send a message via an internal Jabber server as a means of a popup on people's PC's. I'm still working out which version of Jabber works with the perl admin script I found on the internet (jann.pl, which doesn't work with ejabberd. Just FYI.)

Leon
    ladato@telsource.com