This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

alerts from traps (already written?)

Just starting to go through setting up alerts based on traps .. 2 questions

1) Is there a way to reference custom fields in the trigger?  I want to be able to check if the device is marked _HUSH (no alerts)

2) Does anyone have a pre-filled, recommended set of alerts for say cisco or other devices?  I'm surprised there isn't a set of recommended alert templates for vendor X?

Many thanks!

• If you use the advanced alert mgr, you should be able to do what you are asking.

1) Is there a way to reference custom fields in the trigger?

Under "trigger condition" you can reference the custom property values for volumes, nodes or interface.  So, if you create a custom property called "HUSH" then you can make that a conditin wether or not to trigger the alert.

2) Does anyone have a pre-filled, recommended set of alerts for say cisco or other devices?

• You wil see many prebuilt alerts under both advanced and basic alert mgr's.  Stick with the advanced alert mgr, where you can add more trigger's conditions on each alert.  You can take an existing alert, copy it and tweak it for your environment.  From my experience I notice not every alert will be best for every organization.  But you have many examples to start with.
    • You can add condition just for you vendors.  "Vendor is equal to Cisco".

Zak Kahl

http://www.loop1systems.com

• I don't see the option to select TRAPS in advanced alert manager.

Using Trap Viewer I can select Edit -> Add Rule (is this the basic one?)

When I bring up advanced alert manager I don't see any sample alerts for traps

• Sorry, I didn't notice that you were referring to traps and how we can suppress alerting based on traps.  If you know what trap you are looking for, then you can match it with the trap viewer and build actions for those traps. 

I don't know how you can change your trap viewer actions based on the nodes in NPM and such.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has a resolution for what you are looking for.

Zak Kahl

http://www.loop1systems.com

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to zkahl

You can create an alert from the trapviewer.

-Launch the Trapviewer>(start>programs>solarwinds Orion>syslog and trap>trapviewer

-Select the trap message>right click>add rule.

-Under Alert Action>add action>send an email/page>enter your credentials.

May be it help.