This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

alerts after >x concurrent traps?

We are trying to do near real time alerts on power issues at our remote sites. We have trap alerts for our APC UPS units to page us when the server receives an on-battery trap from a UPS. The problem is many of our sites have somewhat unstable power. with 20+ units in the field, its not uncommon to get 5 or more sets of harmless "ups on battery" / "ups off battery" alert pairs per day sent to our on call admins. We really dont care about when they go on battery; its when they STAY on battery that we get concerned and need to start considering prepping that site for an extended outage.

Is there a way to tell solarwinds to not alert until we reach a second or third concurrent on battery trap within a certain duration for a particular unit AND not alert if that UPS triggers an off battery warning between?

Our ideal alert would happen after the 3rd on-battery warning (they come in every 30 seconds). my other concern is Orion's ability to keep the different units separate during a multi site hiccup. while I may want  THIS to alert:

TRAP: UPS1 on battery. (no alert generated)

TRAP:UPS1 on battery (alert gets sent at this time)

I would NOT want either of these two scenarios to generate an alert.

TRAP: UPS1 on battery @ 3:00:35 pm

TRAP: UPS2 on battery @ 3:00:45 pm

TRAP: UPS2 off battery @ 3:00:48 pm

TRAP: UPS1 off battery @ 3:00:49 pm

-or-

TRAP: UPS1 on battery@ 3:00:35 pm

TRAP: UPS1 off battery@ 3:00:38 pm

TRAP: UPS1 on battery@ 3:01:12 pm

I saw the trigger threshold, but it wasnt clear whether it was a global trigger or a per device trigger that would differentiate between several devices issuing the exact same trap within a certain window. For example, using the scenario above, would turning on the supress alert trigger cause the following?:

TRAP: UPS1 on battery @ 3:00:35 pm

TRAP: UPS2 on battery @ 3:00:45 pm (send alert for on battery warning on UPS2 since a second trap of the same type was receive within the window)

TRAP: UPS2 off battery @ 3:00:48 pm

TRAP: UPS1 off battery @ 3:00:49 pm

As you know, too many false alarms will cause admins to get lax and start ignoring them. im trying to avoid that situation. And yes, I know there is SOME value to being able to see chronic flutter states (UPS going on battery multiple times per hour/day indicating a utility or wiring concern) but Im not particularly interested in that at this time... flutter states can be handled with log logic.