This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

You cannot share the SolarWinds Orion database with Microsoft SharePoint servers

Hi I have a question about this phrase "You cannot share the SolarWinds Orion database with Microsoft SharePoint servers" found in the "NPM 2020.2 System Requirements" (see link below). Does this mean that that we cannot have our Orion database on the same vserver that we have our Microsoft SharePoint database on? What are the technical reasons for this?

https://documentation.solarwinds.com/en/Success_Center/NPM/Content/System_Requirements/NPM_2020-2_system_requirements.htm

• It means that the SQL Server that your SharePoint databases live on should not be used for your Orion NPM databases.

Likewise, the Windows Server [computer] that you install the Orion NPM server software on should not be running any other applications such as Exchange, SharePoint, or Active Directory Domain Services (domain controller). 

To put it differently: use a dedicated SQL Server for your Orion databases, and use a separate dedicated server to run the Orion NPM server application (polling engine, modules, Orion web server).

You can install Orion on a virtual infrastructure (Hyper-V, VMware, Acropolis, etc), and it is ok for your Orion server VMs to live on the same virtual server hosts as other server applications.

• Someone from Product Management team responded with this message "The statement within the document however, appears to be written in error. That, or at the very minimum, is an overly firm caution. SharePoint is really no different from any other SQL database. A performance hit on one database can impact the performance of another databases on the same system. This is especially true for items that are shared, such as the tempDB. A properly architected and adequately resourced SQL database server can absolutely support both Orion and SharePoint simultaneously. This is actually not at all uncommon within our customer base. I would just caution the DBA responsible for that database server to ensure that both the Orion data and log luns are kept separate from those of SharePoint to limit the potential impact either application has on the other. I would also recommend placing their TempDB onto a separate SSD LUN of its own for optimal performance.

For InfoDev, I personally would recommend the removal of this section from our documentation. That, or additional context should be provided. Just the statement of Running the Orion Database on Exchange is somewhat absurd, as it would require installing MSSQL on the Exchange server. Something Microsoft’s own installer doesn’t allow. “

• Fantastic points! It's always good for admins/users to know the intent behind documentation, or the "why" because it may reveal cases where the rule may have acceptable exceptions.