cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

WinHttpSendRequest: 12002: The operation timeout error while installing Solarwind agent manually on windows server.

While installing Solarwind agent manually on windows server which is in different domain. I am getting attached error message.

I have configuration of trust between both the domains but still i am getting the error while installing the agent manually. Communication port 17778 is open for manual agent installation.

Error Code: WinHttpSendRequest: 12002: The operation timeout: The operation timeout.

Please suggest for a resolution.

Windows & Linux Servers: Agent

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Level 11

Had a customer with this issue. It turned out that he has proxy configured, which he does not see for IE.

This topic turned my attention to proxy 
https://community.carbonblack.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/CB-Protection-WinHTTP-Proxy-blocking-agent-commu...

So It does not need to be just FW, proxy configured can also cause this.

What is really hard is that all troubleshooting steps to validate connection will pass (telnet,  browser test using https://PollerIP:17778/) as they will not use this proxy. 

So if you encounter this ERROR, check whether some proxy is configured via: 
netsh winhttp show proxy

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

This WinHttpSendRequest 12002 error is simply a timeout error. It means the Agent was unable to connect to the Orion Server in 'Active' agent mode. This is most commonly caused by hardware/software firewalls, router access control lists, proxy servers, between the Agent and the Orion server itself.

0 Kudos

Any luck,I am facing same issue

Regards

O

0 Kudos

We had to delete all the ProgramData/SolarWinds after uninstalling the agent, then reinstalling the agent worked again.

Do you get the same error when doing orion server intiated rather than agent initiated?

0 Kudos

That's one way to get the agent installed, but Orion isn't successful in managing the agent using the other communication method. Still working on it...

0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Any luck on the same issue... I am also getting the same issue unable to resolve it. Please suggest

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am getting the same error on a server that is in the same domain as our Orion server. The agent had actually been installed and working just fine but around 6:30am today it stopped communicating with Orion and was reported as down, even though the server was up. Tried rebooting the server, and tried to remove and re-install the agent and am now getting the same error you posted. I've deleted the node and agent from Orion and I can't re-add it from the console either. I haven't contacted support yet but will do that soon.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos

I'm running into this same issue on four Windows IIS servers. Did either of you get this sorted out?

0 Kudos

Hi, there's this solution in the knowledgebase though, might be worth a try: Manual agent install fails with Time Out error - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip. I've tried it using a local account on the server, and an Orion non-AD account, and I'm still not getting anywhere.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

The most common reason for this error is that TCP Port 17778 is not open from the machine where the Agent is installed to the Orion server or Additional Polling Engine. Have you tried using Server Initiated Mode instead?

0 Kudos

Looks like Network Services was cleaning up some ACL rules, and dumped the one that mattered to my agents. Who does that late Sunday night?

0 Kudos