cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Will a host that is down cause the virtual machine to show as down as well?

Jump to solution

I added a few VMware hosts and guests into NPM. I am trying to figure out the following.

I have an alert that checks for node status is down. If a host goes down, does the alert generate an alert for all of the guests on that host as well? If so, can I prevent this from happening?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 12

Direct answer:

• In your alert trigger condition add the following:
    • trigger when all the following conditions are true
      • guest status is down
      • guest custom property = xxxxx
      • guest name = xxx
      • ESX_host status = up
      • bla

• That way the guest will only alert if ESX_host is up

Smart-ass answer:

• Cluster your ESX servers and have the guests vMotion to another node in the cluster when the node goes down.
  • Yes it will cost money but if you're virtualizing a bunch of systems onto one ESX, I recommend you finish the infrastructure buildout.
  • Clustered ESX servers are (IMHO) specifcally for protecting against hardware failures on single ESX nodes.

Side note:

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 12

Direct answer:

• In your alert trigger condition add the following:
    • trigger when all the following conditions are true
      • guest status is down
      • guest custom property = xxxxx
      • guest name = xxx
      • ESX_host status = up
      • bla

• That way the guest will only alert if ESX_host is up

Smart-ass answer:

• Cluster your ESX servers and have the guests vMotion to another node in the cluster when the node goes down.
  • Yes it will cost money but if you're virtualizing a bunch of systems onto one ESX, I recommend you finish the infrastructure buildout.
  • Clustered ESX servers are (IMHO) specifcally for protecting against hardware failures on single ESX nodes.

Side note:

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Perfect, thanks. What about when a router/switch goes down that the ESX host is connected to? Will the host go unavailable, or generate a down alert?

0 Kudos

If you've built dependencies with the switch/router as the parent and the host among the children, then it will show as unavailable and will not generate alerts. As long as the router/switch down state is discovered first, of course.

0 Kudos

Okay, that is what I thought. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos