cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

Will AD/TACACS/RADIUS Authentication make it into next release of Orion? v10?

Jump to solution

This is my yearly request and reminder that this is the biggest issue I had with the product from day one 4 yrs ago when I took it over and this is the only issue that was never addressed.

Is this slated to finally be resolved in v10 which I assume is to be released sometime this year?  If not I was wondering if this is considered a low priority because it is extremely difficult to manage users within the Orion family of products without some type of authentication integration.

1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager

Regarding AD Groups, see here

View solution in original post

18 Replies
Level 9

Add me to the list for TACACS or generic LDAP.  We are running eDirectory which we would like to use either directly or indirectly through our ACS server.

0 Kudos
Level 7

+1 Thanks

Considering the work around ... is there a way that a user without administrative rights can chage thier password in orion?

0 Kudos
Level 17

+1 🙂

0 Kudos

+1

0 Kudos
Level 13

Shoefer--

Thanks for the workaround.

Everyone: the PM is aware or this request.

M

0 Kudos
Level 12

Thanks for this works great! All users are now logging in using NT Authentication. A little overhead with the setup up of each user 'Domain\username' and 'password' in the password field..but overall its works well and stops maintenance of passwords for orion totally.

Would really be beneficial to be aboe to add AD Group into Orion, and allow permissions/access to various items based on this entire group!

Cheers

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Regarding AD Groups, see here

View solution in original post

Level 12

Thanks

0 Kudos
Level 7

+1 for me here as well.

I've watched for this feature every update.

0 Kudos
Level 18

You'll be happy to know we're working on UI designs of this feature now.  Although we can't guarantee it will make the next release,  the fact that we're in the UI design stage is definitely cause for optimism 😉

If you're interested in helping review the mockups, please send me or Brandon a private email.

0 Kudos
Level 8

That is great news Chris! 

FYI to the community - a temporary workaround:  We were able to use our Windows 2008 NPS server with WPTA to support authentication, but not authorization.  The good news is our users can use the same password they use on the RADIUS server (which is our Windows 2008 NPS server).  We still have to create individual user IDs and authorization at the account level on Orion NPM. 

One of our IP Engineers, Drew Hall, pulled this together.  Thanks Drew!

User authentication – Using existing Windows-based NPS via Orion’s support of Windows PassThrough Authentication (WPTA)

adapted from http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=OrionAGUsingW...

Via RDP into Solarwinds Server, go to Server Manager (i.e. right click My Computer > Manage)

Roles > Web Server (IIS)

I see that the required Windows Authentication is not installed under Role Services > Web Server > Security

Click Add Role Services, check Web Server > Security > Windows Authentication, click Next.

Close dialog box after verified successful installation.

Back in Server Manager, go to Roles > Web Server (IIS) > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager

Select the server “SERVER-NAME” in the Connections pane.

In the “SERVER-NAME Home” pane, Double-click “Authentication” and you get the Authentication pane.

Right-click Anonymous Authentication and select Disable

Right-click Windows Authentication and select Enable

Select the server “SERVER-NAME” in the Connections pane and click “Restart” in the Actions pane.

Level 7

This is very disheartening... I too, as a new customer, was under the impression this was already there and if it's been requested for 4 years, doesn't seem likely that it's going to get there soon.

I really like the tools and what you done with the product, but authentication is a very big thing in large organizations and a big hole in this software.

0 Kudos
Level 14

+1 😛

Our management keeps asking for this as well...

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Point taken and to answer you, no this is not in 10.0, but I can assure you this is high on my list, just have alot of high things on my list based on what I hear from ya'll in the community 🙂

0 Kudos
Level 8

We just purchased version 9 of Solarwinds Orion NPM and the way the sales team pitched it I assumed this basic function, support for RADIUS user authentication, would be included.  We just installed it and found out it isn't.  We'll be adding this to our list of tests for future product evaluations to be certain we don't miss this critical item again in the future. 

If you can provide a patch to include it in version 9 or even version 10 that would be most acceptable. 

Thank you for your consideration.

Scott

0 Kudos
Level 12

As always...keep up the good work.

This is just one of those things management keeps asking about and I keep delaying them.  I get so use to Solarwinds dev getting things corrected and new features added pretty quickly I just didn't think it would take this long.

0 Kudos
Level 7

I'd like to take the opportunity to put another log on the fire. 😉

This has been on the wishlist a long time for us, and now, after some organizational changes, it is now crucial.

Please, please get that ball rolling!

0 Kudos
Level 7

+1

0 Kudos