cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 19

Who integrates Orion with ticketing systems? How do you do it? --Feedback requested

Jump to solution

From time to time, we get questions about integrating with HP Service Desk, BMC Remedy, or any other ticketing system.  We're wondering how many people do this kind of integration?  How do you do it (e.g., Orion sends an email)?  How's it working for you?  Is there something more you'd like to see?

1 Solution
Level 9

We use the Advanced alerts to send a specifically formated email to HP Service Center.  It opens tickets and assingns them fine.  Depending on how much customization your Service Center Admins have done, will affect how the message needs to be formated.  If anyone would like our format, please feel free to ask.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
49 Replies
Level 7

hi, newbie here

I have a task to integrate the NPM with HEAT but based on frontrange only LEM can do the integration with HEAT

http://support.frontrange.com/common/files/support/heat_cloud/user/content/configure/email/solarwind...

i checked the guideline and identified the step can be use from NPM but im worry either HEAT can manipulate data from NPM or not.

Any experience on this?

0 Kudos

I see a bigger issue here, and IMO one of Orion's biggest failings. Whilst creating a ticket in an external system is one thing, showing that an outage or incident is being handled in Orion seems very difficult, and makes the tool much less useful than it could be. Ideally the process should be:

1. Orion detects a state change to an error condition

2. Orion creates an alert and that interfaces to an external ticketing system

3. The ticketing systems sends an arbitrary reply (e,g. the ticket number)

4. Orion marks the event as acknowledged, and includes the reply from the external system in all displays

At this point we can see in Orion that a system has failed, but is being handled.

Nirvana would be when Orion detects  the failed system as operational again, and can send an UP notification to the ticking system along with the returned reference. This would allow for automated incident closure in the remote ticketing system.

BTW notifications via email might be convenient, but it's not a good idea. Firstly the protocol (SMTP) does not guarantee delivery, and secondly what if the failed system is the email system? A SOAP (urghh) or some other API would be a far better idea.

Dave

Level 7

Integrating via email does not seem to be a problem, however has anyone got automatic ticket creation working via SOAP?

0 Kudos
Level 16

We will be testing Remedy integration via email and/or syslogs this week.  As we get closer to replacing Tivoli, this is one of our major hurdles.

Tivoli took hiring a consultant for about 30k to get the integration working, I would like to get Orion working for $0....  This will just add to the value!!

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi,

Have you got any chance to test solarwinds and remedy integration ?

0 Kudos
Level 16

We now use email as our ticket creation in Remedy.  We (hired consultants) created templates in Remedy so that we can put variables in the email alert and remedy will populate them within the ticket.

We are generating well over 100 tickets a day from Orion into Remedy and this expands daily.

The negative is that we rely on Exchange, but the cost of the alternative was not worth it.

After almost 3 years we have not had one issue with ticketing....

Level 8

We integrate Orion NPM with CA Service Desk.  We use advanced alerts to execute a script that accepts multiple arguments.  (These arguments are available through NPM advanced alert actions.)  These NPM arguments are used to build the trap message, event date, and node/interface this alert belongs to.

The script is a Perl script that executes TrapGen.exe to send a custom trap to a trap reciever tool called Trap Console.  Trap Console resides on the CS SD server.  Once the trap is received by Trap Console, it executes another script that uses the trap variables to cut/update/close incident tickets using CA's pdm_text_cmd CLI.

We can dynamically open, close, and update incidents tickets through this integration.

Level 7

Hi Hdoan, can you elaborate a Little more on how you did this? I am trying to do the same thing.

Thanks in advanced

0 Kudos
Level 12

This may have been answered before, but the company i work for just moved from Heat to ServiceNow. How can I get Orion to open new tickets for down circuits in ServiceNow?

0 Kudos

We've been sending alerts to Remedy via rmcreate.exe which creates a ticket in Remedy since 2005. Using a workflow to match the nodes in Remedy, enabling us to autoclose/update tickets, when Orion sends updates/alert resets. 

We invested in HP Operations Manager some time ago, and since this is used as a manager of managers, all alerts are forwarded to HP Operations Manager where we again integrate with Remedy.

Sending alerts to HPOM is based on a OS agent, executed opcmsg.exe with variables on it. The nodes, which not all are in HPOM, is matched via SNMP nodes created in HPOM via a tool that reads the Orion database and creates the nodes in HPOM. But basically the integration from there to Remedy is still rmcreate.exe 

0 Kudos
Level 12

We've been sending alerts to Remedy via rmcreate.exe which creates a ticket in Remedy since 2005. Using a workflow to match the nodes in Remedy, enabling us to autoclose/update tickets, when Orion sends updates/alert resets. 

I've never heard of rmcreate.exe. A quick google of it shows nothing (at least the way I search). Is this something that was developed inside your organization ?

0 Kudos
Level 9

We're creating incidents in HP Service Desk (v4.5) via sdevent.exe.  I created a database rule (script) on the SD side that is triggered when an incident is created by the NPM user.  An Event message pushed  into Orion (inserted in SQL) indicating that a ticket was registered, for which node (matches CIs in the CMDB) and the SD incident number.  This way when looking at a node you can see in its event list that an alert fired and the next like should be the SD incident that was created.

0 Kudos

Hi Denny

I know this tread is quite old, however the subject is still very important to me.  We are using NPM to monitor our enterprise size network and has defined alerting based on traps, syslogs, and device status via advanced alerts. All is working just like a charm.  What we do not have, is this intergrated with remedy...

Yep - remedy is able to recive the mail (or direct DB update i guess) but the biggest problem is that i´m not able to get the created remedy ticked id presented on my node - Thus, not able to show current outace status including ticked ID, link to the remedy webpage etc.

I´d really like that 🙂

As i see it, the most easy fix would be that NPM would be able to recive (mail or DB update) the ticket ID back from remedy directly. Another way is that NPM would generate an uniqe ID, that can be used as ticket id - or at least ticked identifyer - in the remedy system. Downside to the last suggestion is obviously that i´d then need to modify the remedy installation too.... - To allow creation of tickets with id different than the standard etc.

I´ve seen a few examples on how this intergration could be done, but to me it´s not clear enough how it works, and honestly i´m not too intrested in playing remedy / NPM hacker, as my skill´s are .. well, network - I hope that your skills as application developers will give me what i need; some sort of intergration module to helpdesk systems - Especially Remedy ARS 🙂

Just my 2 cents, and.. Happy New Year !

0 Kudos
Level 15

Another way is that NPM would generate an uniqe ID, that can be used as ticket id - or at least ticked identifyer - in the remedy system. Downside to the last suggestion is obviously that i´d then need to modify the remedy installation too.... - To allow creation of tickets with id different than the standard etc.

Just throwing out a suggestion here but you could generate a pseudo unique ID by combining alert variables. For example, using a date/time variable in conjunction with the NodeID would be pretty unique albeit a little long.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I have my OrionNPM integrated with Remedy via RPC successfully!

(How to an OrionNPM Alert can create a new ticket in Remedy Help Desk)

0 Kudos
Level 8

Here in Kuwait we have tonnes of request to integrate Orion with a ticketing system. The most popular request is with CA helpdesk.

From what we know it is quite easy to integrate inthe sense that orion can execute an external program or send an email to the help desk so opening the ticket is no problem but what i am having trouble with is as how to close the ticket using orion?? any tips??

2 way correlation is KEY!

0 Kudos
Level 7

We can generate an incident OK, by e-mail. The things that are missing are:

• Some way to close the incident with the reset action. I have yet to find a unique ID in the Alert. If there were a unique ID we could search for it in the ticket and close it
  • Properties of the alert that we could translate into device or contact details in the Helpdesk system. At the moment we just have to parse the text of the e-mail. It would be nice to be able to match up a node, for example, with a site contact or an asset in the helpdesk system. If we could import/export node ID's we could match the incident to an asset and a contact.
  • Parent/Child relationships so we don't create loads of incidents for the same outage
0 Kudos
Level 15
  • Until SolarWinds implements this, you could create a pseudo alert ID that's formed from the combination of two or more macros such as NodeID and AlertTriggerTime. It might not be pretty but it could possibly work. If you're willing to pull directly from the SQL database, you could also combine ActiveObject and TriggerTimeOffset, which would also be pretty unique.
  • If during SNMP configuration of the node, the Location and Contact information were populated, you could easily use the corresponding macros to pass along this information in your e-mail alert. However, if you're not this lucky, you could create custom properties and then populate that information yourself, again passing along this information in the e-mail alert.
  • This is a monster. Parent/child relationship has been requested for many years now so it's definitely on SolarWinds' roadmap.
0 Kudos
Level 7

I had a quick go at creating a unique ID but I don't see a way to carry it over from the trigger to the reset. If you use Trigger Time I think this will show different times for the trigger and the reset. Maybe not, I can't say I have tested it.

We can get the SNMP contact and location from Orion; but really I would like to export the nodes and import them as assets into the helpdesk system.

Parent/child is essential for any kind of ticketing system. I am just hoping it is not too far away. It does not need to be highly complex for this purpose. The child alert is just spurious and needs to be suppressed.

0 Kudos
Level 15

I had a quick go at creating a unique ID but I don't see a way to carry it over from the trigger to the reset. If you use Trigger Time I think this will show different times for the trigger and the reset. Maybe not, I can't say I have tested it.

Each instance of an alert has a single AlertTriggerTime associated with it (i.e. the time it was first triggered) and should remain the same for the duration of the alert. Anyway, this may be moot because I realized my suggestion (on top of being ugly) wouldn't work if more than one alert triggered for a single node. At this point, the best option is going to be using SQL to extract unique values as mentioned previously.

0 Kudos