This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Who integrates Orion with ticketing systems? How do you do it? --Feedback requested

FormerMember
FormerMember

From time to time, we get questions about integrating with HP Service Desk, BMC Remedy, or any other ticketing system.  We're wondering how many people do this kind of integration?  How do you do it (e.g., Orion sends an email)?  How's it working for you?  Is there something more you'd like to see?

• We don't now but would like to in the future. I am anxious to see what the responses are.....

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to sotherls

From Orion we send email trigger actions to BMC with P1, P2 or P3 in the subject line, then using BMC business rules we create incidents and send those incidents dependant upon P1, P2 or P3 to correct BMC department/group queue. 

Not much as way of integration but it works ok for us.

Dave

• We send emails via the trigger action to CA Service Desk. We pass a subject list of "request" and in the body pass variables for "group", "category", "title" and "description".  Within the title we pass what would normally be in the subject line of an email alert and in the description we pass the remaining alert variables. 

• We are currently investigating integrating NPM with HEAT.  It looks like our solution will have to be similar to the ones listed above.  Email to the automatic ticket generator with the details encompassed in the body of the email. 
  • We send the canned basic Node Down SNMP Traps to Netcool, it opens, fills, and assigns the HP-SC ticket to the predetermined group. Orion waits two cycles (about 8 minutes) then Netcool waits another 5 minutes, just in case its a reboot/reload, when Netcool sees an immediate Node Up message it won't open a ticket. 

Then the NOC adds the ticket number to the custom property through my "Notes" customizations and I have hijacked the Down Nodes Resource like this screenshot:

Works great, everyone knows whats going on.

Yeah my NOC loves me for the amount of tickets ;)

Currently getting ready to fire up some advanced alerts like frame relay circuit incrementing errors, and interface high error rate, both using the  Orion-Advanced-Alert Trap Template.  Might end up sending emails to Netcool to get the node and interface datat as well as the pre and post error rates in the ticket.

Road mapped for the end of the year:  Trending tickets, like CPU, Mem, Circuit utilization.  Orion>SEDS>Netcool>HPSC= Ticket to Network D&E.  That should be fun.

Really need to nail up an intelligent alert suppression routine for large networks, we currently have a rule in Netcool to suppress opening tickets after getting 10 unique alerts within a minute, at this point Netcool opens a Mass Outage ticket and piles them in there.  Problem is that they are not always related incidents.

• A trigger sends an email to our Touchpaper 6.6 helpdesk system which then opens a call, we are upgrading our Touchpaper system to ITBM software (from the same vendor) later this year and hope to be able to target calls to the analysts responsible.

What we can't do with the current system (and I am not sure if we can with the new helpdesk system) is automatically close calls, as there is no link back from the helpdesk system into Orion so Orion does not have any way to close the right call. Our stores helpdesk comments that most of the time they investigate a call logged by Orion the condition has cleared of it's own accord and that this is, from their perception, causing a lot of 'false' alerts.A lot of this is going to be down to sensitivity of the alerts as well.

I dont know if any further integration would be possible but I believe it would be very useful.

We've been told that integration with Orion is on the roadmap for future releases of Landesk service desk (use to be touchpaper ITBM), to be released sometime this year.

• While we decided in the end not to enable it we did test the functionality.

We use info@hand a Sugar based CRM product.  I created a custom property for each monitored device to match the account name in the ticketing system.  Then used email alerts with the account name variable and the other important details to fill out the ticket.

FYI we chose not to implement as due to the vast array of alert suppression triggers that have to be configured.  Once there becomes an easier way to set alert suppression for 1000+ node networks I will implement this.

• From Orion we send email trigger actions to BMC with P1, P2 or P3 in the subject line, then using BMC business rules we create incidents and send those incidents dependant upon P1, P2 or P3 to correct BMC department/group queue. 

Not much as way of integration but it works ok for us.

Dave

Are you using a program called HEAT by chance?

We use Heat ticketing system and this was brought up recently.  How to integrate orion into Heat.

• I am currently investigating how to integrate our product with Orion.

We can already do this with email, but we would like to do this in a more intelligent way (for example auto closing a ticket if the problem resolves itself)

I am not sure if this is something that can be done by looking at the underlying database event table (or a view over it).

I'd like to be able to tell you more, but I only started on this project 1/2 an hour ago

• We are also sending an email to our ticketing system, HelpStar.