This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Where does one see NPM Alert logs indicating an e-mail was sent when a node goes down or up?

I'm not getting e-mailed Alerts when a node goes down or comes back up, on certain sites.  When I simulate the outage in the Alert Manager it seems to be correct.

I'd like to look into NPM's logs and see the history of it sending an e-mail--or NOT sending an e-mail--when a node has gone down.  I don't recall where that log can be viewed.

Would one of you kindly point me to the location of historic e-mails showing Actions?

Swift Packets to you!

Rick Schroeder

• This would be good to know for verification. I can see if an alert occurred in Message Center, but that doesn't tell me an email was properly sent.

As a workaround, our monitoring team has a mailbox and we send a copy of every alert to that for verification.  In our case, we have occasionally had someone asking us to verify if we sent an alert to Remedy on Demand (via email since there isn't good integration).  We can look to verify we received it, then track down if it got through and a ticket was generated.

A log would be nicer.

• We have had luck in the past looking in the ActionsExecution* files in  C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Logs\Orion\

We setup a Log Parser (Powershell) SAM Application Monitor to watch the C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\Logs\Orion\ActionsExecutionAlert.log and trigger if "e-mail" shows up which can indicate a problem with the e-mail address. We were seeing problems a while ago when the variables for referencing custom properties changed and the system would have trouble parsing the old variables.

• Hi  there is an excellent Widget in the SolarWinds Admin View posted by  - It was part of the post ofr ViewImporter. It shows Alert Failures. I used this to find an alert that had an incorrect email address and was failing.