This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Where did the custom property account limitations go?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I am running NPM 10.4 and I can no longer limit my views based on custom properties. To further add pain to injury, I changed my pr-existing custom properties to a "drop down" menu and it broke all of the views/accounts that I had tied to them. All of my Nodes still have the custom property tied to it but all of my views are broken. Anybody else seeing this?

Regards, 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

So I found the answer to my question. Hopefully somebody reading this doesn't go through the same pain I did. This may get long winded emoticons_grin.png

1. Running NPM 10.3 I set up bunch of custom properties. We are a multi-tenant provider so I was using a custom property "City" to limit both Accounts and Views in my Orion deployment.
    2. Upgraded to NPM 10.4 and ran happily for a couple months. See that there is a custom property editor built directly into the web console. Neat!
    3. Change my custom property of City to use a drop down with values. I see that it retains all of my values that I currently had tied to my nodes. Note that every node in my deployment (1600 total) has this custom property tied to it.
    4. Hit submit and watch everything blow up.
    5. All of my views that had this custom property tied to it are no longer accessible (Unexpected Website Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object)
    6. All of my user groups that were being limited based on this account no longer are accessible (Unexpected Website Error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

So I ended up filing a support ticket which I haven't heard back from yet. But I since then "resolved" my issue. Ends up that when I changed the custom property into a drop down the it was no longer an Account Limitation. Woot! Opening up the Account Limitation Builder on the Orion Server verified this.

1. Added the custom property of "City" back in as an Account Limitation using the builder
    2. Deleted all of my user accounts and recreated them
    3. Copied all of my views that had account limitations of "City" tied to them (This removes the account limitation tied to them)
    4. Deleted the original view and renamed the copy
    5. Updated all my custom toolbars with the new views! WORST PROCESS EVER
    6. Updated all the values in my newly created user accounts to match what was there

Not sure if this was intended functionality by Solarwinds but it made my day interesting. Especially being the only Solarwinds Administrator. Maybe somebody from staff or support can chime in?  Anyways, hope this helps somebody. I'm going to drink a beer.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Update :

Seems like this pertains to any custom property. Reproducible by the following steps.

1.       Create a custom property through the web GUI (not a drop down)

2.       Set the custom property as an account limitation

3.       Go back to the web GUI and make it a drop down

4.       Account Limitation builder no longer shows it in the list

• @travis_vanholland - Thanks for gathering this information. I also use a custom properties to restrict access. I was expecting to upgrade to 10.4 and convert my custom properties to drop downs. This is good information and I hope Solarwinds gets this fixed.

@Solarwinds - Please fix this bug! I, like travis_vanholland, would like the best of both worlds!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to SamuelB

This is a known issue in 10.4.0. I recently upgraded to 10.4.2 which has resolved the issue. Support tells me that the issue is resolved in 10.4.1 but I can't say for sure.