cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

When viewing any interface chart the default time period is set to custom? How can I change back to today?

Jump to solution

Everytime I view a chart by clicking on it instead of being presented with the data relating to today I am presented with a chart that is set to a particular date, namely 1/20/2014! I want the default date to be set to today when I go to view a custom chart. I know I can change it within the time period box but I would like the page to load up displaying today's data as anything else could be misleading! Thanks in advance, any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

This sounds like a problem I've run into in the past. Basically, someone has opened up the Custom Chart and changed the time period so that they can look at a specific date/time period. In order to display the different time period, the user clicked the SUBMIT button instead of REFRESH. By clicking SUBMIT, you have made a permanent change to how the chart displays from that point forward. Clicking REFRESH will only make the change only applies to that particular view of the chart. The only way to fix it is for you to open the Custom Chart, change the Time Period parameters and click SUBMIT. (Thanks LadaVarga)

In the past, my Network Engineers would need to look at an interface chart for the last 3 months. They would make the change, click SUBMIT to see the new time range then close the view. Sometime later, they would complain about how long certain pages took to load in Orion. Whenever I would look at the page, I knew they were right and I always knew how to fix it, usually by changing the Time Period to the Last 24 Hours. I had to educate them to use REFRESH instead of SUBMIT. They didn't always remember, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

This sounds like a problem I've run into in the past. Basically, someone has opened up the Custom Chart and changed the time period so that they can look at a specific date/time period. In order to display the different time period, the user clicked the SUBMIT button instead of REFRESH. By clicking SUBMIT, you have made a permanent change to how the chart displays from that point forward. Clicking REFRESH will only make the change only applies to that particular view of the chart. The only way to fix it is for you to open the Custom Chart, change the Time Period parameters and click SUBMIT. (Thanks LadaVarga)

In the past, my Network Engineers would need to look at an interface chart for the last 3 months. They would make the change, click SUBMIT to see the new time range then close the view. Sometime later, they would complain about how long certain pages took to load in Orion. Whenever I would look at the page, I knew they were right and I always knew how to fix it, usually by changing the Time Period to the Last 24 Hours. I had to educate them to use REFRESH instead of SUBMIT. They didn't always remember, unfortunately.

View solution in original post

I have the same issue - is there any way to stop users from doing this?

0 Kudos

The only people who can change those are the ones with permissions to customize views.  I generally try not to have more than a handful of people able to build views or else you run into problems like this. 

- Marc Netterfield, Github
0 Kudos

That's what I thought, but this user still has access to the Submit button even though they aren't allowed view customization.

0 Kudos

My mistake then, never noticed that non admin/non customize page type users had that option before.  Another way around it that I've used in the past is to just build tabs with for example a 7 day view and another with 30 day or 1 year views, that way they don't really have any need to change the values since they have everything they need already.

- Marc Netterfield, Github

That's not a bad idea. I might look into doing that, thanks. I've opened a ticket with SolarWinds to look into it as well. The odd thing is the access is all based on AD groups, but not all users in that group have access to Submit.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Hello

Which version of NPM do you have?

Which chart does have problem? Old or NEW? Name of chart?

You can try change time period to "Today" and submit, after edit again you should see "Today" again.

Hi LadaVarga,

We are using NPM 10.3 and it's every interface chart across every node?! I looked to see if I could change this in web console settings but that only seems to allow me to set font size and whether I'd like to include a trend line or not etc. Can't seem to find anywhere I could change the default time period value for the chart that is used when loading the chart to the page

Thanks!

0 Kudos